nexy33

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

simplify is only on my machine until i can cobble together a decent prusa slicer profile for my sapphire pro then its gone
RoboDLC

nexy33 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:38 am simplify is only on my machine until i can cobble together a decent prusa slicer profile for my sapphire pro then its gone
Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? V5 not coming out does not make V4 suddenly unusable. I still think that S3D is the easiest slicer to use out there. I have tried every other one, they are all more difficult. CURA has tree supports, which rock in many cases and suck in a few others. Ideamaker can't network to anything but their printers, PrusaSlicer network connects awesomely, but doesn't do very well with supports and is very complex to drive, slic3r is pretty good, but stupid hard to use, E3Ds will be support licensed like a few others and is a bit raw right now. Even with the bugs it has, S3D is way easier and more solid to use for almost any project than any other slicer. If you are a slicer wonk, you will disagree with me about one or more of the other slicers, but I am not a slicer wonk, I just want to make things. S3D makes things quite well in the vast majority of cases.

I am not dumping it just because I am tweaked that they haven't come out with V5. I'd be happy with another V4 that fixes some bugs and enhances a few sections. I don't need V5 to solve anything.

IMO,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
Omikron

RoboDLC wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:16 pm
nexy33 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:38 am simplify is only on my machine until i can cobble together a decent prusa slicer profile for my sapphire pro then its gone
Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction? V5 not coming out does not make V4 suddenly unusable. I still think that S3D is the easiest slicer to use out there. I have tried every other one, they are all more difficult. CURA has tree supports, which rock in many cases and suck in a few others. Ideamaker can't network to anything but their printers, PrusaSlicer network connects awesomely, but doesn't do very well with supports and is very complex to drive, slic3r is pretty good, but stupid hard to use, E3Ds will be support licensed like a few others and is a bit raw right now. Even with the bugs it has, S3D is way easier and more solid to use for almost any project than any other slicer. If you are a slicer wonk, you will disagree with me about one or more of the other slicers, but I am not a slicer wonk, I just want to make things. S3D makes things quite well in the vast majority of cases.

I am not dumping it just because I am tweaked that they haven't come out with V5. I'd be happy with another V4 that fixes some bugs and enhances a few sections. I don't need V5 to solve anything.

IMO,
DLC
I agree, I don't think it's completely useless, but to be honest I a lot of effort can go into tweaking slicer profiles for a printer and material. To that end, I do think it's important for folks to feel that they're not putting effort into a platform that is going extinct, which seems to be the sort of slow, ugly death that S3D may be succumbing to.

I wish them the best. I hope they complete all of their goals and they sell the platform to a company that has the resources to maintain it. Alternatively they can also properly invest in the company to make it more profitable. They do absolutely no marketing, and have brought no new releases in years.

I would be willing to bet if they had properly invested in making incremental improvements over the years and had put more effort into marketing, working with the community, etc, they would be in a much better state. Instead this is where they are stuck. Not many folks find the value in buying a $150 license for outdated software that is for all practical intents so far, no longer supported.

In the meantime I will do my best to provide feedback to make S3D into the product that I think will make it competitive.
ViperZ

I don't think I can trust this company :evil: .
They announced the release of Ver5 and a free update for one year.
With that, a lot of people bought Ver4. But for over a year.
V5 is not offered. Isn't this a fraud?
A lot of people who bought the V4 were wondering when it would be released on the forums.
I remember them screaming.
Did the support make some sort of apology to them?
I don't recall seeing such a post.
If they were sincere, after announcing the V5 release, they'd be able to
They should be offering free updates to those who purchase them.
If not, I think they are a bunch of scams.
I recently purchased SnapMaker and switched to Cura :D .
I no longer use Simplify3D.
S3D-Jake

Codex404 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:24 am They don't even take any effort to remove criticism anymore so I think the company is actually dead now.
I like to allow criticism as long as it's constructive. So as long as everyone is speaking truth and not arguing with one another, it'll all be good. Also, WE'RE NOT DEAD! :) still alive and well. Thanks for noticing that the tone has changed around here a little bit though!
Omikron wrote: ....To that end, I do think it's important for folks to feel that they're not putting effort into a platform that is going extinct, which seems to be the sort of slow, ugly death that S3D may be succumbing to.

I wish them the best. I hope they complete all of their goals....
In the meantime I will do my best to provide feedback to make S3D into the product that I think will make it competitive.

Again, not dead. And it doesn't feel like we're anywhere near death. I appreciate the well wishes. Hit me with more feedback anytime!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
gwhite

You may not think S3D is dead, but a large number of your customers do. I suspect for every complaint you see here about the lack of communication on Version 5 (much less any tangible signs of progress) that there are quite a few more who have just quietly gone elsewhere.

I have a friend who runs a 3D printing business, with a large bank of printers running 24/7. I just swapped emails with him, and he's giving up on S3D. Other than a fleeting mention that it was still being worked on in mid-July, the last real communication on Version 5 we got was last December, almost 11 months ago.

Stop treating your customers like dirt, and you might still have a few left when Version 5 is finally ready. It's rapidly getting to the point where I won't buy it no matter how wonderful it is because A) I don't trust you to survive the debacle of its development & release, and B) I really don't like supporting companies that have NO comprehension of how important open & honest communications with their customers is. I've been in the tech industry for 40 years, and I've NEVER seen a company handle a product release so poorly. We are not children. If you level with us about what's going on, a lot more users will cut you some slack than will hang around in the absence of any information.
nexy33

RoboDLC wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:16 pm

IMO,
DLC
I have 7 different printers I would rather not keep having to swap software when I'm setting up runs if it hadn't been for buying a sapphire pro when they launched I would never have bought this, don't get me wrong to start with it was good but is now feeling dated and old and is lacking a lot of the newer features. If there hadn't been the announcement when I purchased of version 5 coming soon I wouldn't have.
S3D-Jake

himadeto wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:57 am good afternoon. sorry but I don't want to read the whole thread. tell me what about the dates of the new release? thanks.
A release date has not been announced.
gwhite wrote: You may not think S3D is dead, but a large number of your customers do.
I'm a Simplify3D employee and there's not just me here on our community forum. In fact, there are more Simplify3D moderators on here than there ever have been previously. We're all anxious to know more about Simplify3D V5. I don't think it gets anyone any closer to knowing anything more to insinuate that the company is dead or dying. I appreciate your constructive criticism of our communication regarding development progress.
nexy33 wrote: I have 7 different printers I would rather not keep having to swap software when I'm setting up runs if it hadn't been for buying a sapphire pro when they launched I would never have bought this, don't get me wrong to start with it was good but is now feeling dated and old and is lacking a lot of the newer features. If there hadn't been the announcement when I purchased of version 5 coming soon I wouldn't have.
I'm happy to pass along any feedback you have or feature requests you feel would elevate Simplify3D to a more recent status in your eyes. There are several existing feature request threads that are fairly popular. If your desired feature has already been requested please don't hesitate to add your input to the existing threads for said feature.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
RoboDLC

S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm
himadeto wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:57 am good afternoon. sorry but I don't want to read the whole thread. tell me what about the dates of the new release? thanks.
A release date has not been announced.
gwhite wrote: You may not think S3D is dead, but a large number of your customers do.
I'm a Simplify3D employee and there's not just me here on our community forum. In fact, there are more Simplify3D moderators on here than there ever have been previously. We're all anxious to know more about Simplify3D V5. I don't think it gets anyone any closer to knowing anything more to insinuate that the company is dead or dying. I appreciate your constructive criticism of our communication regarding development progress.
nexy33 wrote: I have 7 different printers I would rather not keep having to swap software when I'm setting up runs if it hadn't been for buying a sapphire pro when they launched I would never have bought this, don't get me wrong to start with it was good but is now feeling dated and old and is lacking a lot of the newer features. If there hadn't been the announcement when I purchased of version 5 coming soon I wouldn't have.
I'm happy to pass along any feedback you have or feature requests you feel would elevate Simplify3D to a more recent status in your eyes. There are several existing feature request threads that are fairly popular. If your desired feature has already been requested please don't hesitate to add your input to the existing threads for said feature.
Jake,

You didn't say anything. That was just finger exercise.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
arhi

S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm elevate Simplify3D to a more recent status in your eyes
transparency is required in order to get any feedback worth mentioning. without any info from you providing feedback is futile exercise :(

* actual data on what's been already worked on and what's the order/importance of each of the features being worked on.
* what's coming in 4.x, what bugfixes, features?
* when's next 4.x arriving if ever, or this is it and we should not expect next 4.x
* what's coming in 5.x, what changes, what features?
* when's 5.x coming

feature-request part of the forum is "full" with clear features, on top of that, some "more modern" g-code generation ... e.g. long sequences of very short movements in the GCode (something all modern slicers fixed)

What I fail to understand is that you are not taking the "low hanging fruits" .. there are so many features missing that are easy fix that would make a lot of users happy and solve the "no release in 2 years" problem .. e.g.
- connexant 3d mouse support (approx one engineer/day to implement, another one to test)
- octoprint integration (2 eng/hours to implement, 10 eng/minute to test for basic implementation, 2 eng/day to implement full fancy set of features)
- RRF (duet) integration (2+2 eng/days to implement)
- import/export all settings/profiles as xml/json/whateverhumanreadable (?! a week?)

that's like tops 2 weeks of single developer's work on super safe stuff that does not pose risk to the system (no chance of introducing bugs if a developer is not a total dunster) and you have a release .. There's bunch of stuff like that ... you can do a release every few months .. but when you, like now, wait 2 years to make any update, expectations will always be higher than what you can deliver :(
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”