RoboDLC

Re: OK, Time to Start Yet Another "Where is Version 5? " Thread

Bummer,

Well, it does appear dead, not a single comment in months and not a single update in years.

If they really are belly-up then it is only a matter of time before the servers go down and our software stops working. So, time to find an "unusual" way to keep the software running.

kind of a drag. This is the best dual-filament slicer out there. CURA is drek on that topic and the other slicers are too raw to even talk about.

I really like this software, what a shame that it killed itself with a premature announcement.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
arhi

RoboDLC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 pm kind of a drag. This is the best dual-filament slicer out there.
unfortunately that is true :( ... there is one that with few limitations can be almost as good (IdeaMaker) but yes, S3D is the only "really good" with multiple extruders are used, as with multiple tools with tool changer setup like from E3D I still don't see a competitor
RoboDLC wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 pm I really like this software, what a shame that it killed itself with a premature announcement.
IMHO it does not have to be killed by that premature ann. The "sorry guy's we overreached, corona messed us up, 5.0 is delayed for unforeseeable future, here's the update of the 4.x " can easily put them back on the track and back into grace as whatever we think about the size of the team, communication skills of the team, censuring on the forum and whatnot, this still is the most complete "affordable" slicer out there
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
rodolfobertoni

Guys, sorry, saying that you are alive just by breathing, does not mean that Simplify3D is also alive. I love this program and have always used it, but I disagree with many here. I am using PrusaSlicer and it is much more mature and has many features. I've retired Simplify3D a long time ago and I don't regret it. PrusaSlicer is very complete and with many updates. I recommend.
billyd

My internet was down the other day and S3D ran without issue. Although I wonder how long it would go before demanding a reconnect? Not sure.
EchoAlpha

rodolfobertoni wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:36 pm PrusaSlicer is very complete and with many updates. I recommend.
The only thing holding me back is figuring out how to transfer all of my profiles. Was there a method you came up with?
ViperZ

I still use S3D, but I don't use it because I want to.

Changing slicers affects the products I sell because the print size changes slightly.
Changing slicers is a hassle because it requires readjusting the design.
PrusaSlicer has a unique raft function that is difficult to use. I am looking forward to the next release, Ver. 2.4, which will have the same rafts as the other software. This will be a goodbye to S3D. 8-)
jaymcd

I just looked back at some of my messages to S3D Chris and Mitch - first indication of V5 was in 2018 ! Wow this is way beyond reasonable - especially without comment or explanation.
RoboDLC

Well,

OK, so future S3D development seems unlikely. Let's hope it isn't because of something terrible.
S3D still does not suck. It hardly rates an "I'll never use it again!" kind of attitude towards it. It still prints things I can't print using CURA, and I've yet to come to grips with Slicer, Prusa Slicer and a couple of other slicers.
It would be nice to have a few bugs fixed and get Tree supports, but <shrug>, ain't nothin' can do a dual filament print like S3D.

I have an incredible wine bottle opener that is truly ancient, and you can still buy it now, they haven't updated it. I'm not going to toss it because it hasn't been updated in 15 years. It still does a great job.
So, let's not get carried away with our angst that S3D hasn't been updated, it isn't like it just stopped working.

I can be disappointed with their shop going silent, but a lot of crap has happened in the last 18 months - I hope none of it has happened do the developer.

I have made a philosophical change in my attitude about a lot of things lately.

Hakuna matata,

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
billyd

RoboDLC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:25 am Well,

OK, so future S3D development seems unlikely. Let's hope it isn't because of something terrible.
S3D still does not suck. It hardly rates an "I'll never use it again!" kind of attitude towards it. It still prints things I can't print using CURA, and I've yet to come to grips with Slicer, Prusa Slicer and a couple of other slicers.
It would be nice to have a few bugs fixed and get Tree supports, but <shrug>, ain't nothin' can do a dual filament print like S3D.

I have an incredible wine bottle opener that is truly ancient, and you can still buy it now, they haven't updated it. I'm not going to toss it because it hasn't been updated in 15 years. It still does a great job.
So, let's not get carried away with our angst that S3D hasn't been updated, it isn't like it just stopped working.

I can be disappointed with their shop going silent, but a lot of crap has happened in the last 18 months - I hope none of it has happened do the developer.

I have made a philosophical change in my attitude about a lot of things lately.

Hakuna matata,

DLC

There are still things I have to print with S3D because certain parts I print all the time don't seem to print well coming out of prusaslicer. Yet other things print just fine, or even better on prusaslicer than S3D. I haven't been able to tell why that is, ahead of time. So it's a trial and error process until I can figure out the reason(s) this happens. I'm not sure I ever will.

Prusaslicer is fairly easy to set up for a custom printer. I like the way settings are handled much much better than in S3D which is a minor disaster.
aLLmIxEdup

I think it is fair to say that after this, a subscription based service would be a complete non-starter.
It is also very unlikely the few users they still have will pay a premium price for an upgrade - since there are now alternative (and actively developed) products that are quite as capable.

It is hard to see how the company can be at all viable after all this time, and this forum alone would be enough to frighten off any prospective buyer.
The most likely scenario is that the company has stopped all development on Simplify3D and has moved onto other things. It is simply maintaining the web front in order to catch the occasional purchases from people who watch out-of-date 'youtube' videos. I feel a little sad that things did not work out for Simplify3D. It had promise and a lot of public support at one time.

Hopefully they will learn lessons and do better in whatever they have moved on to.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”