Carlbosson

Motor Fan

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 am

I am printing a small motor fan see attached. In this case, there is a tapper on the shaft that the fan mounts to. I would like to have the the surface of the Inner diameter of the tapper in the fan be clean. You can see in the photo attached it is not. I have been working on the retraction, but I think I need to avoid the nozzle passing over the center of the tapper at all to keep this surface clean. Is there anyway to do this in S3D?

Printing with 3DXTECH, CarbonX Nylon, nozzle 260C, Bed 110C, Enclosure 85C, Print speed is 33.3mm/sec
Attachments
Motor Fan 2.jpg

RoboDLC

Re: Motor Fan

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Carlbosson wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 am
I am printing a small motor fan see attached. In this case, there is a tapper on the shaft that the fan mounts to. I would like to have the the surface of the Inner diameter of the tapper in the fan be clean. You can see in the photo attached it is not. I have been working on the retraction, but I think I need to avoid the nozzle passing over the center of the tapper at all to keep this surface clean. Is there anyway to do this in S3D?

Printing with 3DXTECH, CarbonX Nylon, nozzle 260C, Bed 110C, Enclosure 85C, Print speed is 33.3mm/sec
Yup. There are a few things that you can do. In order of what I usually try:
Advanced tab:
Avoid crossing open spaces, set maximum distance before crossing open spaces to 3.0 at first, I have gone as high as 5mm.
You have a circular piece, you can almost entirely eliminate crossing open spaces with this.
Extruder tab
Wipe Nozzle, I typically use 2mm wipe - This makes the tool basically back up and wipe off the nozzle. If you set the Advanced tab to retract while wiping, then you further reduce the drool and save a little time.
Coast at end, I usually use .2 to .5mm - This reduces pressure in the nozzle by using the plastic already there to finish the line, less drool.
Finally, don't do a vertical lift. This is my go-to for PETG and TPEE/TPU prints. Everything is a wipe.

Turning up your fan will often help, but it can also mess up your layer cohesion if you chill the plastic too fast.

have fun,
DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Carlbosson

Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Thank you for your advice. To be clear when I go to the advance tab\movment behavior I see a check box "avoid crossing outline for travel movments" Is this what your talking about?

Carlbosson

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm

DLC,
Thank you, that worked great.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”