Johnm

Vase mode printing issues

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi all,
I just installed a Zesty Nimble Direct drive extruder and E3D v6 Gold hotend. I am trying to print out a hollow pumpkin. Don't remember the the wall thickness. I was thinking I could try printing this design in Vase mode. Mybe this is a printer calibration issue? A very small round section prints correctly in the bottom then the print head starts printing in a circle laying down filament. From this point on this is what happens... The layers don't print close enough together to adhere to each other and I get just a bunch of string. Any thoughts? This is my first attempt at printing in Vase Mode.
I am wondering if overall I need to calibrate my Nozzle. With the E3D hotend the Nozzle is offset in the Heater Block which is why I think some type calibration is needed.

Thank You,

dkightley

Re: Vase mode printing issues

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Is the source model you're trying to print modelled as a solid object..... or a hollow object that you're wanting to replicate??

Vase mode printing is essentially like the clay pot you will remember making at school out of a long sausage of clay coiled round into a spiral formed vessel. There has to be ONE filament extruded round and round in a spiral.....and if the source model you are printing is hollow, its impossible for the printer to have a single extrusion....and it will jump from one spiral....the outside wall ....to a second spiral....the inside wall....and inevitably result in a messy print!

A simple solution may be to check the box "Merge all outlines into a single solid object" on the Advanced settings tab. Try it and look at the simulation to see if the sliced result is what you want.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”