smartavionics

How to really delete a process?

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:56 am

Hi,

I'm just starting with s3d. It's working OK but I have a really simple problem, deleted processes come back again when I restart the program. So if I delete a process using the button, the process disappears from the Processes list but when I next start the program, any deleted processes are back in the list again! How do I really delete them?

I am using version 2.1.2 for Linux.

Thanks,

Mark

JoeJ

Re: How to really delete a process?

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:11 am

It sounds like your settings aren't saving correctly. Maybe it's a permissions issue? You might want to try deleting the Simplify3D preference files to see if it fixes it

smartavionics

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi,

Well, I don't know what's changed but now when I delete processes, they don't come back.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Cheers,

Mark

dhylands

Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 am

When you install linux, you use sudo, which makes the installation process run as root.

If (as I did) you make the mistake of choosing to Launch Simplify3D at the end of the installation process, then itt runs as root as well.

I found that ~/.config/Simplify3D and ~/.config/Simplify3D/Creator.conf (and any other files you created during that initial run) were owned by root.

I wound up running the command:

Code: Select all

find ~ -uid 0 -print
to see what files were owned by root in my home directory. If all of the files owned by root should be changed you can do:

Code: Select all

sudo find ~ -uid 0 -exec chown dhylands.dhylands {} \; -print
(replace dhylands.dhylands with your username.groupname).

smartavionics

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 am

Hi Dave,

That's all useful info, thanks.

I can't remember if I started the app from the install dialog or not but I did check the permissions/ownerships of the files it had created and they all looked OK.

Anyway, it's working as expected now.

Cheers,

Mark

habloIngles

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

That's weird I'm running Xubuntu 14.04, and I don't get this issue, even when running simplify3d straight from the installer

dhylands

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Did you try removing/renaming .config/Simplify3D before installing?

habloIngles

Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 am

dhylands wrote:Did you try removing/renaming .config/Simplify3D before installing?
No, on a fresh install of xubuntu, it just works for me. Run installer as sudo, launch program from installer, quit program, re-open, all settings are intact

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”