WilsonEvans

First layer height depending on Print Quality setting?

Currently, for my printer profile in Simplify3D, I have 3 "Auto-Configure for Print Quality" sub-profile (that we can choose at the right of the material:
- Fast (with layer height of 0.3mm)
- Medium (with layer height of 0.2mm)
- High (with layer height of 0.3mm)

The parameter which varied with the "Print Qualatity" are :
- Layer height
- Top solid layers
- Bottom solid layers
- Skirt layer
- Infill percentage

- Support infil percentage

I would like to make the First layer height a parameter that can varied with the print quality. By exemple, for the medium quality, a layer height of 100% and for the high quality 200% (for the same man profile) : is there a way to do that ?
Currently, if I change the layer height on high quality, the parameter is also passed in medium and fast quality.

Thanks
S3D-Jake

Re: First layer height depending on Print Quality setting?

This post describes in detail how to change which settings are linked to material or quality presets.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5977&p=25950#p25947

Let me know if you run into any issues.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
julierajput12

WilsonEvans wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:48 am Currently, for my printer profile in Simplify3D, I have 3 "Auto-Configure for Print Quality" sub-profile (that we can choose at the right of the material:

- Layer height
- Top solid layers
- Bottom solid layers
- Skirt layer
- Infill percentage

I would like to make the First layer height a parameter that can varied with the print quality. By exemple, for the medium quality, a layer height of 100% and for the high quality 200% (for the same man profile) : is there a way to do that ?
Currently, if I change the layer height on high quality, the parameter is also passed in medium and fast quality.

Thanks
:ugeek: The first layer height can be the same as the whole printing model however you can set different sizes and speeds; it is recommended that layer height should be 75 % or less than nozzle diameter, this means that for a nozzle of 0.4 mm the max height is 0.3 mm (if you are a master you can use higher dimensions)

The first layer with a height of 0.3 mm with a speed of 70 mm/s will have less adhesion than printing at 50 mm/s. Also the same height and speed of 70 mm/s at 210 °C will have more adhesion than at 195 °C. So printing at 195 °C with speed of 50 mm/s could have the same adhesion than 70 mm/s at 210 °C. This depends on the quality of your PLA

On my prints I have set the prints at 195 °C and 55 mm/s with a height of 0.20 mm, then the whole print uses the same temperature at 85 mm/s with 0.25 mm of layer height. With other PLA quality I have to set 210 °C first layer at 50 mm/s, and other layers at 200 °C with 70 mm/s. So adjustments are based temperature and speed once you have determined the smoothness of your prints
Jone Warne

WilsonEvans wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:48 am Currently, for my printer profile in Simplify3D, I have 3 "Auto-Configure for Print Quality" sub-profile (that we can choose at the right of the material:

- Layer height
- Top solid layers
- Bottom solid layers
- Skirt layer
- Infill percentage

Thanks
yes,
First layer height depending on Print Quality setting because it depends on quality measures and find out many things.
S3D-Jake

aricjoshua wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:12 pm A successful first layer is a key to successful printing. And I need a detailed guide here. Can you help me with this I am in dire need of some useful information here? Thanks! cookie clicker
This post describes in detail how to change which settings are linked to material or quality presets. It sounds like all you need to do is add First layer height to each of the Auto Configure for Quality settings groups.

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Ani77

- Layer height
- Top solid layers
- Bottom solid layers
- Skirt layer
- Infill percentage

Thanks
Thank you sir for this deep help, keep share with us.
parallyze

kossmoss wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:10 am The First Layer Height determines the thickness of the first layer that is printed on the bed. For example, if you were using a layer height of 0.1mm, you could set your First Layer Height to 200% so that the first layer is printed with double thickness at 0.2mm.

Yes. And this thread is about setting 1st layer height according to selected presets...
parallyze

Jessiebull wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:59 am Happening with me as well, changing the layer height on high quality, the parameter is also passed in medium and fast quality. Please someone help us! nulls brawl
You have to include all settings you want to change within custom presets in each preset:
xml_presets.JPG
Another example in that picture/xml file:
Vase mode. Once selecting the preset "Vase Mode" parameter "spiralVaseMode" is set to "1". So all
the other presets need to disable/set this to 0 again.
Instrumentation

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:37 pm
aricjoshua wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:12 pm A successful first layer is a key to successful printing. And I need a detailed guide here. Can you help me with this I am in dire need of some useful information here? Thanks! cookie clicker
This post describes in detail how to change which settings are linked to material or quality presets. It sounds like all you need to do is add First layer height to each of the Auto Configure for Quality settings groups.

Thank you for linking to that post again. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to setting up all the configurations on the new printer here. I'm also low-key terrified of what will happen if I load the wrong FFF profile after tweaking something.

I really hope that "Version 5" has a more user-friendly interface to this core function.
jhonwalker222

The thickness of the first layer printed on the bed is determined by the first layer height. To print the first layer with double the thickness at 0.2mm, for instance, if you were using a layer height of 0.1mm, you might set your First Layer Height to 200%.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”