sthoey

Makerbot Z18 - Help Configuring Steps per MM

Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi All, I must be missing something while trying to modify the steps per MM. I'm hoping for some help.

I'm running a makerbot Z18 with S3D 4.12. My X, Y and Z are off. Printing a 25mm block I get an X(25.2), Y(24.8), Z(25.3)

I went to \tools\firmware configuration\x3g and using the standard formula to update the Steps per MM I changed to the new values. I then exported the firmware configuration and chose that new configuration under the \FFF Settings\ Gcode \Update Firmware. (this was the instruction from the Simplify 3D Youtube video). This way the proper configuration is both in the FFF profile and they system settings. When I print my part I get the same results as above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

S3D-Jake

Re: Makerbot Z18 - Help Configuring Steps per MM

Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 am

The MakerBot Z18 uses the *.Makerbot file format. So any options for x3g files shouldn't be assumed to have the same effect or be applied to a non-x3g exported file format.

To update firmware related settings on a Z18 you need to use MakerBot Desktop.

More specifically, you can access a Z18's eeprom from the "Devices" drop-down menu in Makerbot Desktop. The button "Device Preferences" is the eeprom settings.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

sthoey

Re: Makerbot Z18 - Help Configuring Steps per MM

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Thank you! this is very helpful. I am seeing that S3D exports the .makerbot file . Now I need to figure out how to find out my current steps per mm so I can add the gcode. the post processing. Any idea how to get the current steps per mm then upload the file?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”