PPI King

How to change slice direction

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm

I am very new to using Simplify 3D and 3D printing as a whole. I've been asked to assist with my companies R&D 3D printing after former employees left. I am trying to print a long and short part and the way it's printing, long edges first, isnt preferable. How do I change the settings or slice so that it prints small vertical sections horizontally instead of building up the whole thing at once. Apologies if that doesn't make sense. Another way to describe it, if it's currently sliced horizontally how can I slide it vertically? Think if it as a loaf of bread. Thanks in advance!

billyd

Re: How to change slice direction

Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean.

If you want the part printed differently, you can rotate the model about the X and/or Y axis and slice it like that.

To do that double click the part, and then look for the rotations section that pops up on the screen on the right side. Enter a delta of 90 degrees in X or Y (or -90 if you prefer) and then center and arrange the part.

Slicers will always slice the part 1 horizontal layer (X-Y plane) at a time and then advance along the Z axis. 3D printers typically aren't set up to print one piece completely vertically of a part and then move to another area, as this would almost certainly cause collisions with the parts already printed as the extruder moved around to complete other areas. So the print always has to build up from the bed evenly.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”