cinihuqi

Dual nozzle, multiple layer heights

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 am

Hi, currently a cura user but potentially looking to change if s3d can do what I need...

I was wondering if it's now possible to set up a s3d to print 1 or 2 exterior layers with a 0.4 nozzle and 0.2-0.25mm layer height and print the infill and maybe a couple more perimeter layers and the infill with 1mm nozzle and 0.5-0.6mm (a multiple of the finer layers) layer height? Just doing the infill rough doesn't really help (often my parts are less than 10% infill)

I'm guessing if this is possible we could then progress to using the large nozzle for most of the print and just using the finer nozzle on threads on other parts that need higher tolerances and finer detail? Happy to modify/cut the model into two parts, one rough print and one details and combine in the slicer

I print a lot of large parts where detail isn't important over 95% of the print as they are purely functional parts but finding 1mm nozzle quite hard to get the detail on the 5% that needs it - I've tried printing with a 0.4mm nozzle but found the 30h+ print times too long (4-6 hours with the 1mm nozzle)

S3D-Rick

Re: Dual nozzle, multiple layer heights

Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm

If you have your detail parts as separate STLs, you can assign them a different extruder with completely different settings. If it is just one model, there is no way to specify, say, threads to be printed with the second extruder. You can set the infill to print with the second extruder, and use the "Combine infill" feature to make infill print every other layer at double the layer height to speed up the infill.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”