Daparat

Gap Fill Issues

I print a lot of small objects, I'm very carefull to make sure no line is less than .9mm but lines will vary from .9mm up, in Prusaslicer, the gap infill fixes any issues I have as lines don't fall in to a multiplier of .45mm which is my extrusion width. To replicate the issue I have set everything in S3D to the same as prusaslicer, except you can not enable gap fill for exterior walls in S3D.

in prusaslicer the tops of my thin objects are perfectly welded, in S3D the perimeters delaminate everywhere, with gaps all over, is there a work around or should I just go back to Prusaslicer.
prusaslicer.PNG
Prusa
s3d.PNG
S3D

same file same settings

many thanks
S3D-Rick

Re: Gap Fill Issues

If you change your Internal Thin Wall Type in the Advanced tab to "Allow single extrusion fill" these lines should get filled in better with a dynamically varying extrusion.
Daparat

I have tried it with that setting as well, as you can see below, it does fix the problem in various places but then removes gap fill and creates problems else where, both prints using both settings had perimeters not welded, I just finished prusaslicer print, same file, same settings as mentioned before and its perfect nice solid walls with smooth tops
Capture.PNG
I would prefer to use S3D
gwhite

This is my biggest beef with S3D. It's very model dependent, but it seems like every 4th or 5th thing I want to print has gaps in places there shouldn't be. I've played with all of the thin wall Advanced tab settings, and can usually come up with something that works, but I often end up fixing it by adjusting my model. I've got something now where I've got gaps between 5 perimeter passes. I did a cal cube, and the extrudion width is perfect. It's not just the first layer, the gap extends all the way up. Here's a photo of the latest mess, backlit so you can see all the voids:
Gaps In Walls.jpg
I'm going to cut my model up so I can test this efficiently, and I'll post the Factory file for that once my current print job is done.

The only other thing that might be affecting it is that this spool of eSun PLA+ has been on the printer for a while, and may have soaked up some humidity. I haven't noticed this sort of issue with filament in the past, but anything is possible.
airscapes

you may want to reduce the walls to 1 and let normal infill fill the larger places and the single extrude do the rest. also make sure you have you single extrusion setting correct i.e. minimum extrusion length set to 0.00 and endpoint extension .2 or .3 Min print width 40 or 50% max 200%
gwhite

I've got gaps that are over a cm long, so the minimum extrusion length isn't the issue. The min & max print width SHOULD take care of it, but I've played with those parameters for days in the past without fixing some of these issues.
airscapes

can you post a factory file?
gwhite

That's my plan. I need to abbreviate the model so it isn't so big, and I want to do a test print with fresh filament in case the problem is related to moisture. My printer is in the middle of a 16 hour job that is less critical and doesn't seem to have serious problems with gaps. It should be done in a few hours.
airscapes

sounds good, which version of s3d are you using.. I am still at 4.01
gwhite

It's the "current version", 4.1.2 (if you can consider 27 month old software "current"...). I have a few older versions as well, but because they changed the behavior of the first layer height setting, switching back & forth is a pain.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”