mpd352

Single Extruder Three Spool Printing

I have a GeeeTech A10T printer. This has a single hot end, but supports three filament schools/colors all fed through the single hot end.

I want to do multicolor prints, and have done some based on the layer principle, where different layers are different colors.

There is a three-color gecko multi-material model on Thingiverse, Striped lizard (multi-material) by cipis - Thingiverse, that I’d like to print.

I printed it using Repetier-Host based on a video GeeeTech’s website: https://youtu.be/GqOvjJ2GxVg.

The process takes the three separate STL files, groups them, sets each file to a different extruder/color, and prints out a single object in three colors. Turned out so-so. I’d like to try it again and Simplify3D, as Simplify3D gives you much better control of all the little esoteric settings within the print process.

I’m hoping one of you smarter people can give me a step-by-step process to do the same thing in Simplify3D that happens in the Repetier-Host process. Think of it as a “multi color printing for dummies” set of instructions.

Simplify3D has a dual extrusion wizard, but it does not support three spools.

I’ve searched for similar tutorials within the Simplify3D forum but can’t quite find exactly what I’m looking for. What I keep finding our instructions on how to use a machine with a single extruder and single spool, and then print each color separately, changing spools between colors. I need to figure out how to make it print from start to finish using the single hot and in the three different spools/colors this machine supports.

Thanks,

Kevin
S3D-Jake

Re: Single Extruder Three Spool Printing

Have you contacted Simplify3D support? Our support team should have a profile for this machine that they can share with you.

As for configuring your print, you would do this in much the same way as you would a multi-extruder print. There's an entire section in our guide to multi-extruder printing that covers setting up prints with three or more extruders.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... extruders/
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
mpd352

Re: Single Extruder Three Spool Printing

Thanks. I'd read that before, but missed the part where I had to use the "Select Models" button in the process dialog to assign the specific process to a specific part of the model.

Thanks, I'm off and running.

K

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”