Stringbean781

PETG on Ender 3 Printing issue

Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 am

Hello Simplfiy3D Community!!

I am a recent new user and absolutely love this program. I used to use cura and after getting Simplify, I was able to get beautiful prints from my Ender 3 Pro and PETG. I have had multiple issues with what I believe to be layer adhesion. This print I did last night came out with walls that seem to be separated from the part and have "warped" into a wavy pattern(see photos). One concern I have is that its my part cooling fan. I have part cooling set to off on both Cura and Simplify3D, but everytime I print, Its turned on and spinning. I am curious if by default, the fan is supposed to run at low RPMs or if my Printer has a wire/circuit issue in the SKR Mini E3 v1.2 board. I was curious if anyone has good Ideas for getting rid of these bubbles and achieve shell wall adhesion. My settings are below. Thanks for any support!

My settings:
  • Nozzle Dia:0.4mm
  • Extru Multi:0.9
  • Lay Height:0.2mm
  • Infill & %: Rectilinear 20%
  • Bed Temp: 80 C
  • Extruder Temp: 245 C
  • Cooling: Layer 1, Fan Speed 0
  • Print Speed: 24 mm/s
  • Shell: 2 Layer outline, inside-out
Attachments
image2.jpeg
Note the wave shell walls. These warped bumps are squishy and seem to be separated from the part.
image0.jpeg
Note the wave shell walls. These warped bumps are squishy and seem to be separated from the part.

airscapes

Re: PETG on Ender 3 Printing issue

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:43 am

Use the attached model to verify your extrusion multiplier, there should be no gaps between the stands of plastic (Use a jeweler loop or USB microscope)
You may want to try a but lower temp, I use 235 for PETG but do not have the same printer
Waves may be lack of infil... hard to tell from you picture . You can attach a factory file File > facoryfile > save as which will let folks help you better
Attachments
2 layers at .2 x 30x30.stl
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 23 times

Stringbean781

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 am

Awesome I will try this print tonight and save/post the facory file. I was able to fix my fan. I printed it without the part cooling fan on and had the same results. Additionally I want to note that the print is vertical not flat(as shown in the photo attached). Thanks for the help!
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Stringbean781

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pm

I did test print and attached my facory file. It looks like I am under extruding after looking at this test print. I am going to try bumping up my extrusion multiplier and see what happens. Thanks.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
H-EXT-020.factory
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Stringbean781

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:29 pm

I raised my extrusion multiplier to 1.05 and still getting weak squishy prints.

zemlin

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Who's PETG filament are you running? I generally run PETG hotter - makes for stronger parts, but not all PETG does well hotter. I've never experienced loose layers like you're seeing. Can you post a factory file?

percar

Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:01 pm

I have had this issue. My solution was to dry out the filament. Even though PETG does not absorb moister the same way nylon or abs does, it will.
After drying most of the problems go away and you get a smooth print. Also make sure that you are running high enough heat on the hot-end. When i print with PetG i print at 255c. Bed temp is 87c...
Another point is the retractions .....do not use fast speeds during retraction as this will not pull the soft fillament back but will instead leave a molten blob in the nozzle which will string all over the place...instead slow down the retract so that it has time to pull back the blob of molten plastic

Hope this helps a bit

rsavell

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:21 am

That's what my prints look like when I need to replace the nozzle so if you haven't replaced it in a while you may want to try replacing it as well as the Teflon tube inside the extruder. PETg is harder on your nozzle then say ABS or PLA and I find the nozzles wear out faster with PETg.

airscapes

Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:07 pm

PETG is not some nasty filament that needs special anything to work.. It requires you starting Z offset is correct for you layer height, it requires you choose a sane speed for the model size, it requires you have dried the filament if left out, just like any other non PLA filament, it requires you choose a temp that is within the manufactures range for that filament .. Then assuming you have a quality printer that can heat the hot end to the temp you choose and keep it offset from the bed the correct distance while it prints.. the thing will print just fine.. it is that simple.. my PLA ABS and PLA setting change in that the temp of the hot end and bed changes.. speed is dictated by nozzle size and model size..not filament. Sorry not much help but there really is no magic

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”