20181105ok

split big models

Very big modesl have be spit to be printable in common printers. And the assembly mechanism is important for those split parts to be assembled precisely. Below is my solution, but very often the result might have some defects.

Are there any good examples for learning? Thanks!

Attachments
Image.png
Image.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
billyd

Re: split big models

An easy way to cut big models in half is to drop the portion of the model you don't want sliced below the print bed prior to slicing.

Drop the model to the bed.
Double click in the model. In the window that pops up on the right, near the top, deduct from the value currently shown in the Z direction, the amount you want to move the model into the bed. That amount of the model will drop below the bed when you confirm at the bottom of that window.
Slice the model. The part below the bed will be ignored.

Later, you can rotate the model 180 degrees about X or Y and repeat the process to print the other half.
gwhite

I use dovetails a lot to connect parts for larger models. I also use them to assemble multiple smaller parts where I don't want to mess up the cosmetics by using supports. Here's a magnetically mounted screw driver rack. There are two side pieces for the screw drivers, two end pieces with the magnets that dovetail into the screwdriver holding sections, and there is a dovetailed bar in the back that ties the two halves together:
Srewdriver Rack Assemb.jpg
Depending on the application, I can often make the dovetails fit tightly enough that I don't need fasteners or glue.
20181105ok

Hi @billyd @gwhite Thank you both for your comments and the technique of dovetail!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”