20181105ok

Adjust printing speed for layers below n sec

Two settings:
  • Adjust printing speed for layers below 10 sec
  • Allow speed reductions down to = 10 mm/sec
If, on a small layer, the speed is reduced to 10 mm/s, but the print time is 8 sec. Would the nozzle stop moving to wait for 2 sec?

Another question:

Is it possible to observe the time of the specific layer in the preview mode?

Thank you!
dkightley

Re: Adjust printing speed for layers below n sec

My take on these settings....

If the layer is going to take less than 10 seconds to print, then reduce the printing speed down so the layer will take 10 seconds.....however, do not slow the speed down below 10 mm/sec, and if the layer now takes less than 10 seconds then so be it!

So the answer to your first question is NO....the layer will take whatever time it takes at the slowest speed you have set. Stopping the nozzle will destroy the print!

And your second question...No You can use the "Colouring" option to indicate the speed....but not time.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
20181105ok

dkightley wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:47 am So the answer to your first question is NO....the layer will take whatever time it takes at the slowest speed you have set. Stopping the nozzle will destroy the print!
Cura has a setting Lift Head, which makes the nozzle wait until the minimum time is reached.

Lack of the function of waiting makes it impossible to print models that have small tips on the top and need a certain speed level for bridging.

The only workaround seems to be printing a prime tower, which is a big waste of time and material. I wonder whether there is other smarter workroud. Maybe printing a block floating in the air with extrusion multiplier set to 0 is also a solution.

Thank you for your reply!

added: The minimum Extrusion Multiplier allowed is 0.10.
zemlin

With most of the materials I print, a lift and wait would not work out well as the nozzle would ooze while waiting, unless you added an ooze shield to the part. I have found that when features start getting real small I need to reduce the temperature along with the speed and cooling adjustments. I will also sometimes drop several copies of a part on the bed so small parts aren't building up too quickly. If it's a small part, I'm not concerned with the small amount of extra material.
20181105ok

zemlin wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:13 pm
Thank you for your comments!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”