iPa64

I tested Prusaslicer

Hi,
For a few days I have been testing the Prusaslicer, oops it's like a new sweet experience :D
Seriously what's happens with S3D ?
You were so far ahead of the competition and now so far behind.
Can we still expect something ?
I sincerely hope so
Kind regards
nsarzyns

Re: I tested Prusaslicer

Don't count it. Nothing of use has come from the S3D team for quite some time now. PrusaSlicer, is outstanding. The UI isn't as polished as S3D, but as someone who as been printing for about 6-7 years, PrusSlicer is the way to go now, in my opinion. Cura is great too but PrusaSlicer I found had far better results out of the box.

I wouldn't expect anything to come from S3D anytime soon, or ever. They are so far behind for a paid product. It's a sad day when a FOSS product has better communication from the dev team, way more frequent updates and a community/team that doesn't silence those with criticism. S3D doesn't seem to remove and lock threads/post on their forum any more but they certainly have an issue with people replying to their tweets. Which I'd like to argue, Twitter will reach a wider audience, than that of their forum which only people that have the product really know about. They don't want the negative publicity of their failed product scaring away potential customers.

I don't and will not recommend the S3D product anymore. I stopped my local makerspace from purchasing licenses of this product for every paying member. It was supposed to be some gift for long time members (about 40 were on that list) Sorry I had to rant.
iPa64

Hi, now I am using Ideamaker, and I have just one thing to say: I will never be back to S3D.
First steps on Ideamaker are a little more difficult than PrusaSlicer, but worth it, It looks like S3D in many ways !
With PrusaSlicer I have never got the same print quality than S3D, but yes with Ideamaker and with a lot of new feature.
iPa64

There is so much resemblance to S3D that it makes you wonder if S3D developers would have participated.
airscapes

iPa64 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 pm There is so much resemblance to S3D that it makes you wonder if S3D developers would have participated.
A guess would be S3d took slic3r which was written in Perl and converted it to C++ or some other compiled language back in the day.. Prusa did the same thing a few years ago. Slic3r is now a split tree from Prusa but I think they still work together and share ideas.. This is my guess from what little I have read and what I see in the way they work. If Prusa can get supports a good as or better than S3d, multiple processes and a preview that is as good there will be no use for S3d anymore.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”