billyd

Re: Any chance of a version 4.2 release?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am

tenaja wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 am
I hope so, too, but even if they do, we probably won't get to use it. They are headed down the saas rabbit hole targeting monthly fees from farms. There's no incentive to cater to us, since they already got our money.

Just look at the number of new forum users per month from, arbitrarily, 2017, vs now. Worse, and more telling, is the number of posts--we are switching to Cura.
They clearly screwed up in not collecting at least a coffee or two from us every year. So, now, they are scrambling to keep their code producing revenue.

As others have said, in some ways, Cura had surpassed s3d... But there's still a few areas that s3d is better, and still that minute chance that we won't be abandoned...
I started use prusaslicer. It has a lot of nice features and was pretty easy to setup for a custom printer. I also like the way it handles settings. Much more straightforward and comprehensible.

It does still fall short in a few areas, but in those few cases, I just go back to S3D to handle it.

I hope version 5 ships, but if they go to a pay to play model, I will be gone faster than it takes to click the x at the upper right hand corner of your browser.

myprinter

Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 am

For me, 3D printing is for mechanical devices that I design myself. The most important thing is to design so that support does not become necessary.

Used S3D for many years, and still think it is the best of the slicers available.
CURA, is way too heavy and never ends well for me.
PRUSA, is fine but still requires development and there are too many things that I do not use.
IDEAMAKER, is closest to S3D, many good settings but their profile handling is shit, and their speed setup is completely foolish.

S3D is still the slicer I use and the result is always nice. If you have used it for a long time, you can easily tune parameters so the result is super nice.

I really hope S3D is still alive and continues the good work.

ChrisR

Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I think this product is dead. Not that I particularly care as I now exclusively use CURA. It's a shame as Simplify3D was once the best slicer out there. I know as I purchased it. Now? Dead. Dead in the water.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”