BairStrokes

Simplify3D support/licensing for old version?

Hi,

This is perhaps jumping the gun a little, but what will the position be regarding support for the existing Simplify3D V4 when V5 is released?

Given the extensive development time that the new version is taking, one might guess that it will be an entirely new piece of software. This means two different pieces of software to support instead of one and we all know software publishing houses don't like that - its more expensive.

Additionally I would guess that Simplify3D are targeting 'commercial' customers for their new release; and I hope they enjoy success. However, that is a shift in the product focus that may not bode well for many existing 'hobbyist' users.

Considering that this product has been favoured by many individuals, who probably do not want a, presumably more expensive, replacement. I'll hazard a guess that many will prefer to stay on the version they have, and still be able to update for new printers. So I think the matter of ongoing support is a fair question. Especially given the popular trend of 'abandonware' that has gripped the software industries in recent years.

This may be a pessimistic view but, even in very large organizations, the trend is to OSS, not so much because it looks cheaper, but because it is more reliable and trustworthy than products from commercial vendors - who answer to their shareholders or twitter. Not to their customers.

Hope you get your software out this year and everyone likes it.
stefi01

Re: Simplify3D support/licensing for old version?

It would be nice if S3D answered the question rather that ignore everyone, and the question is simply.... will there ever be a V5, by the way the support staff are ignoring users says to me they have packed up and quit.
onyxius

Re: Simplify3D support/licensing for old version?

I am concerned that with all of the lack of data on the formerly mentioned version 5 is no longer a goal. I have not even found any posts or information on a new update like 4.1.3 (currently on 4.1.2) with new features like the hugely requested top layer ironing feature just to name 1. Since I started 3d printing a couple of years ago, I have only ever used simplify3d for my slicer. I tried using cura a couple of times but was overwhelmed by all of the settings which is why I stuck with simplify3d due to it's ease of use.

I do wish the devs would put up some kind of blog post or forum post to give us die hard users some kind of idea of what's to come, be it a whole new version 5 or just an updated version of 4 with new features.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”