philakapd

PETG FFF

After many print trials and reading countless threads, I decided to make this post.

I was getting good PETG prints during my testing, but then I either clicked the wrong setting in QIDI slicer or the extruder isn't happy.

Can anyone share their preferred PETG print settings?

I'm using QIDI i-Mate S (similar to the PLUS) and Overture PETG.

S3D does not have a default PETG setting. Should I try the ABS setting? PLA setting too cold.

I'm new to this. Trying to learn and listen without being bothersome. I'm not going to use the QIDI slicer any longer. I'm using the S3D software, NOT the QIDI slicer.

Thanks.

Best of health.

PD
PXL_20210413_105648581.MP.jpg
Njoro

Re: PETG FFF

I'm using QIDI i-Mate S (similar to the PLUS) and Overture PETG.

S3D does not have a default PETG setting. Should I try the ABS setting? PLA setting too cold.

I'm new to this. Trying to learn and listen without being bothersome. I'm not going to use the QIDI slicer any longer. I'm using the S3D software, NOT the QIDI slicer.
I've just taken delivery of my i-Mate 2 days ago, I'm in the process of fine tuning PLA FFF.

Use the PLA setting and adjust the Temp = 230-235 experiment as filaments differ slightly, start with the lower 230C, cooling 40% for now.

First "Save as New" will open a popup which will read "Qidi Technology i-mate" just add to it PETG and hit OK, this will be the go to profile for your PETG print tuning. When you come to do ABS or PLA or any other filament type just load the default and rename it after the type of filament to easily load different Process.

Make sure you have levelled the bed using the provided card, I found I needed to lower the bed by -0.05 as the Bed was closer once it heated to 60C.

Import your model, in S3D go to "Show advanced" then click "Edit Process Settings" in the pop-up window select "Additions" make sure "Use Skirt / Brim" is ticked.
Change "Skirt Offset from part" to 10mm and "Skirt outline" to 5.

Key "Think always of the Bed moving closer to the Nozzle" ignore the saying "moving the nozzle closer to the bed"

Start your print and stop it and cancel it after the 5 lines are printed or even after the first layer only, after the table has dropped you can now examine the "Skirt outline" to see how close the "Bed is to the Nozzle".

If the Outline looks a bit transparent you'll need to lower the bed, either by "levelling the Bed again but skipping straight to the "Middle position which has the "Offset" option +0.05 or -0.05. or in S3D "G-Code" tab "edit Z Axis by -0.05.

Since you are new to S3D try only doing this in the printer until you are more comfortable with S3D.

There're other Options that can be used under the "Tools" tab but it would just make things too complicated for you just starting with S3D.

I hope this leads you in the right direction and I'll be very happy to help if I can.

Regards.
philakapd

Wow, where do I begin?

First, THANK YOU for your kind response.

I’ve learned so much in the past month. With the help of S3D staff and the interwebs, I’ve been able to provide custom gifts for my community and my family. I cannot believe I didn’t try this technology years ago. I am simply blown away by the community and equipment available to the consumer.

I have my PETG settings dialed in and now working on PLA+ Silk for some custom nameplates.
PETG is definitely my “go to” material as it is non-toxic and holds up to UV lighting/outdoor use.

I learned about my machine, software, plastics, manufacturers, etc.

I can see myself dialing in better results as the weeks progress. I can’t wait to see what comes out of the printer in the next year!

Now, I’m trying to manage my files. It’s important to keep my testing and results information organized.

Thank you so much. I’ll be around here for the foreseeable future!

Best regards,

PD
philakapd

A few additional PICS.

Thanks!

PD
Attachments
PXL_20210515_151006234.jpg
PXL_20210504_002731577.jpg
Njoro

It sure looks like you are nailing it, I like your mail box, I too wish I had this technology when I was a boy as I've always been a tinker.
ericallen0204

Any chance you can post you PETG settings. I'm trying to dial my X plus in and not having any luck. My prints look ok but nothing compared to yours. Thanks.
philakapd

project.factory
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Settings attached. This should get you close.

I don't know what your prints look like, so I'll make some guesses.

Make calibration cubes, towers, etc. I probably printed calibration tests for 20+ tries before I was satisfied.

Use quality materials. Check reviews for products as you're learning.

Make sure you have a great first layer. Elmer's glue stick on the bed!!

Extruder nozzle needs to be CLEAN.

PETG should be dry. If your roll has been sitting out of the bag for more than a day, I would suggest placing in a plastic bag with Desiccant.

Keep all panels on your X-Plus in place, don't remove them.

Print SLOW! This isn't a race.

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything.

-Phil
Attachments
PETG GOOD RESULTS 05-20-2021.fff
(13.1 KiB) Downloaded 910 times
Vulcan

Hello, philakapd.
You have a great profile for printing PETG in S3D.
Please post your profile for ABS and PLA in the topic.
Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards, Alex
n9wbj

What is your bed temperature?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”