Newtron

Giving Up on S3D

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm about ready to give up on S3D. No updates for the last 2 years now! I'm very aware that the pandemic has slowed things down, but this is ridiculous and I'm tired of hearing rumors the v5 is soon to be released.

SimpleScott

Re: Giving Up on S3D

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:59 pm

“About” to give up? LOL. You have more patience than I.

A year ago, I would have paid for an upgrade - no questions asked. Loved the UI, and the underlying engine “just worked” without a lot of hassle.

But now, after all the delays, and the improvements delivered by other slicers (Prusa3d in particular).... S3D is going to have to deliver something REALLY SPECIAL before I’ll come back. They’ve essentially jettisoned their customer base, and will have to try and win them back for any new release to prosper. I really hope they do, but I’m not holding my breath.

newbpwnr

Mon May 03, 2021 11:52 pm

I log in about once a month for some giggles. The sad part is they have no problem selling this outdated software.

RoboDLC

Mon May 10, 2021 11:16 am

Well,

It sure seems like S3D future development is dead. But.
Nothing else out there that I have found, free or otherwise, can dual dual filament printing better. All the other slicers treat multiple filament as some side-job, with little attention paid. CURA seems particularly random in how it deals with dual-prints. I hear great things from Prusa slicer, but to be honest, the interface is clunky and difficult to drive, and I have yet to get a good print on any of my reprap printers using it. The Prusa slicer is tuned to Prusa printers and apparently works great there.

Anyway, I use S3D for most of my work because as its name states "Simplify", it surely does that! They nailed that part for a slicer.

So, S3D is apparently "undead" at this time, I for one, hope that it is resurrected, maybe by a competitor? And extended into the future. It is a very good base upon which to start, after all.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”