Newtron

Giving Up on S3D

I'm about ready to give up on S3D. No updates for the last 2 years now! I'm very aware that the pandemic has slowed things down, but this is ridiculous and I'm tired of hearing rumors the v5 is soon to be released.
SimpleScott

Re: Giving Up on S3D

“About” to give up? LOL. You have more patience than I.

A year ago, I would have paid for an upgrade - no questions asked. Loved the UI, and the underlying engine “just worked” without a lot of hassle.

But now, after all the delays, and the improvements delivered by other slicers (Prusa3d in particular).... S3D is going to have to deliver something REALLY SPECIAL before I’ll come back. They’ve essentially jettisoned their customer base, and will have to try and win them back for any new release to prosper. I really hope they do, but I’m not holding my breath.
newbpwnr

I log in about once a month for some giggles. The sad part is they have no problem selling this outdated software.
RoboDLC

Well,

It sure seems like S3D future development is dead. But.
Nothing else out there that I have found, free or otherwise, can dual dual filament printing better. All the other slicers treat multiple filament as some side-job, with little attention paid. CURA seems particularly random in how it deals with dual-prints. I hear great things from Prusa slicer, but to be honest, the interface is clunky and difficult to drive, and I have yet to get a good print on any of my reprap printers using it. The Prusa slicer is tuned to Prusa printers and apparently works great there.

Anyway, I use S3D for most of my work because as its name states "Simplify", it surely does that! They nailed that part for a slicer.

So, S3D is apparently "undead" at this time, I for one, hope that it is resurrected, maybe by a competitor? And extended into the future. It is a very good base upon which to start, after all.

DLC
D. Clark
Robotics and sensors engineer
And lots of other stuff for fun.
gwhite

I looked at IdeaMaker briefly, but there wasn't a ton of info on how to set it up for other brands of machines.

I have PrusaSlicer working, but it took a couple days to figure out all the configuration details just to get a basic print from it on my MakerGear M2E. I still have a long way to go before I am as comfortable with it as I am with S3D. At least I have a viable fall back option if S3D goes totally belly up, especially if their "phone-home" license server goes away.
B-H-S

Totally Agree I have used Prusa slicer and idear maker but I go to S3D every time, I use it with prusa and Raise printers and its notable that the E3D Tool changer recommends S3D I wonder why possibly because they have it nailed, when you look under the bonnet of P Slicer it don't work to the extent of S3D and idear maker is way over the top and grind my PC to a standstill,, dont use cura not interested...COME ON S3D BEFORE WE ALL GO
billyd

Prusaslicer isn't that hard to setup. Sure it's a lot different but a couple of nights reading and you're pretty much up to speed on it. I do like their material, filament and printer handling and how it saves those setups separately. I have a totally custom printer that started out as a Taz 5 and now only bears a passing resemblance to it, so I had a lot of setup to do since there was no pre built setup.

I agree though it takes some experimentation to get good prints out of it, but it can be done. There is a lot of options to set and it will take a good number of experimental prints before you are super happy but you can get there.

Like it was said already I am glad to have prusaslicer up and operating should S3D servers disappear one midnight.

I still use S3D for some prints, because sometimes it's better for certain prints than Prusaslicer. But again alot of that is setup that I haven't tweaked enough yet.

It has paint on supports which is kind of cool. It also is accurate within a minute or two estimating print times, which is a feature that S3D has never mastered. It also will tell you how much filament you will use and that also is extremely accurate. Cool stuff.
tenaja

I logged in for the first time in six weeks, and there are posts in only 4 or 5 threads... Most people don't announce their departure.

Cura is fine, with an interface that isn't as good. It has some nice features, and misses one or two.

Prusa doesn't have coast & wipe because their printer has pressure advance (or whatever they call it.). So, until I upgrade my control board, this one isn't an option for me.
steuned

What comes with your Simplify3D license?
☑ Powerful Software – the most powerful 3D printing software available, giving you complete control over how your prints are created
☑ Extensive Support Resources – access industry-leading resources that help you improve your print quality and quickly learn the software
Full-Time Professional Support Staff – our 3D printing experts are here to help if you run into any problems along the way
☑ Latest and Greatest Updates – your license includes 1 year of free upgrades so that you can stay up-to-date with the latest improvements
☑ Instant Online Delivery – download and start using the software immediately after your purchase

:lol: :roll:
spiceagent11

I logged in for the first time in six weeks, and there are posts in only 4 or 5 threads... Most people don't announce their departure.

Cura is fine, with an interface that isn't as good. It has some nice features, and misses one or two.

Prusa doesn't have coast & wipe because their printer has pressure advance (or whatever they call it.). So, until I upgrade my control board, this one isn't an option for me.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”