WarAuthority

Re: Is Simplify3D worth the cost?

chedodinhduong wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:11 am because it is not updated often.
You get updates?
It's been like two years.. must be pretty often...
s3030150

Don't buy it. It is wasted money (it was not years ago). Until they refund what I paid I will say that. This is for my will to support a good product even when there is a cracked one available.

Seriously, paying customers are joke for these people
----------------------------------------------------------
bottomline: stupid enough to buy this
dkightley

I've kept out of all the arguements over S3D for a long time and watched how loads of so-called experts have pulled the software....and the company apart....and I've seen diddly-squat real and meaningful proof for their claims.

Is S3D worth the money?

A few years ago, I was struggling to the point of pulling my hair out trying to get good enough quality to 3D print the 2,500 or so parts for this:
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
I took a leap of faith and bought S3D...and here's the proof that I took the right decision:
IMG_3212.JPG
Was buying S3D worth the money? I say "YES"!

Would I pay for v5? Again I say "YES".
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
tenaja

A year and a half ago, I would be voting for YES, buy S3d. However, Cura has caught up to the point that there is probably only one feature in S3d that is not in Cura. (Can't even recall it right now...it's been too long since I've used S3d.) Sure, I like the tabbed interface of S3d, but that is tiny in the grand scheme of things. I've actually grown accustomed to the list of settings, and I really appreciate being able to search for them. Plus, ironing--without a workaround! For me, anymore, it's Cura, unless I hit a project that requires that one s3d feature that I can't even remember.
newbpwnr

DavidMalan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 am Honest question, though it may seem a bit snarky. I'm just tired of companies not being straight forward with their customers and hiding behind language, guilting or ransom tactics.

I've been using a few different slicers and have seen Simplify3D mentioned a few times in various locations as a recommendation. I'm looking at their website and am thinking about purchasing.

I am a bit reticent, however, they have a ton of weasel/marketing terms, such as: "the most powerful 3D printing software available" and "industry-leading". And it looks like the $150 "purchase" price is actually an annual license, as the site implies that you'll only get updates for a year. They don't list any renewal fees, so my assumption is that they will spring that on you a couple of months before your license expires via emails proclaiming "detrimental loss of security and functionality, renew now!".

Am I off the reservation here? Would you recommend it?
Considering it's been 2 1/2 years since the last time any updates have been pushed, HELL NO.
NickelPLate

The only reason I would buy it is if you're having trouble getting good results from another free slicer. I just never could get Cura to work well with my Ender 3 Pro. S3D is still a good program in its current state but I've lost hope thinking any updates are coming and that it will one day become abandonware. People were complaining about the lack of updates and false promises back when I bought it and that was two years ago.
kb0nly

I run Simplify3D all day every day on my desktop and laptop, the laptop routinely doesn't have internet when using it, i even just checked by turning off WiFi and walking over to my printer room and then opening Simplify3D, with ZERO internet connection and was still able to import a file and slice it and export to SD Card.

Sure you need internet to activate the software when you install it, but i don't understand why people say you need internet for it to phone home every time you launch it??? I know for a fact it works, i just proved it to myself, and i can tell you last year we had an issue where we didn't have internet for nearly 4 days because Covid and service crews that couldn't function. On my desktop it was still business as usual, i had to have people send files to my google gmail and then use my phone to transfer the file to a USB drive using an OTG adapter, then put the USB drive on my desktop that didn't have internet to slice it with S3D.

Maybe people are confusing the initial activation with daily use?? I don't understand those statements about a server disappearing and the software not working, cause mine works even without internet.

As for no updates in two years, getting sick of hearing it, so what?? I tried the free ones, garbage, gave up. S3D is click and print for me from F360, works every time, needed very basic tweaks to the stock profiles for all my printer models, and it just WORKS... I need something that works, not something that takes endless days to get working. Looking at these features people claim that Cura or PrusaSlicer have over S3D, they are of no interest to me, not a selling point, don't really care. Until one of the free software versions can do what S3D does for me daily i'm not interested.
dkightley

Well said!
Doug Kightley
TheBum

I'd be happy if they just fixed the bugs in 4.1.2.

Supports often being generated even when manually removed.
An object disappearing in whole or in part while manipulating it, requiring that the application be relaunched.
dkightley

Supports often being generated even when manually removed.
I think you'll find this is not a bug.

Take a look at my post on this thread...and try doing what I do:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15633&p=58254&hilit ... rts#p58254
Doug Kightley

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”