Jimco

Copyright notices in Simplify3D

Hi experts, we would like to buy several sets of Simplify3D, however, based on our purchasing rules and regulations, copyright notice, especailly open source adoption in Simplify3D, is needed to check, where can I get this document? Thanks
nsarzyns

Re: Copyright notices in Simplify3D

I would contact them directly. One question I have though is why Simplify3D? They've ceased nearly all communication with people regarding the next V5 release that was meant to be released over two years ago I believe. Prusaslicer and Cura surpass S3D. I haven't found a feature that S3D has that the other open source ones have, for my and many others use case. In fact the open source ones have much more to offer. We had a makerspace looking to purchase about 30 licenses of S3D, but that was shutdown by myself and others after showing the board how horrible they are at communication and breaking release schedules. They use a mix of Cura and PrusaSlicer now without issues. Yes there a slight learning curve but isn't that what this community is about?
C_Birch81

Likely because a lot of companies still have a mind set that Free = Bad & Paid = Good

But its been well over 2 years now when they said about v5 and all the do is try and plug v4 on social media as if it was the latest and greatest to likely hope to top up some bank accounts.
kb0nly

nsarzyns wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:39 pm I would contact them directly. One question I have though is why Simplify3D? They've ceased nearly all communication with people regarding the next V5 release that was meant to be released over two years ago I believe. Prusaslicer and Cura surpass S3D. I haven't found a feature that S3D has that the other open source ones have, for my and many others use case. In fact the open source ones have much more to offer. We had a makerspace looking to purchase about 30 licenses of S3D, but that was shutdown by myself and others after showing the board how horrible they are at communication and breaking release schedules. They use a mix of Cura and PrusaSlicer now without issues. Yes there a slight learning curve but isn't that what this community is about?
I tried Cura, what a pile of hot garbage... Kept crashing on me for some reason, and having to post process for different printers was a pain, unless they finally fixed that it was a mess. PrusaSlicer is ok if you have a Prusa printer, which are overpriced basic printers that cost four times what they actually should, using their software for other printers was pretty basic and never really worked right for me. I tried both of them, gave them an honest shot for a month, and gave up. Simplify3d has its issues, the update complaint seems to be the biggest one by online users, but the simple truth for me is that it always works, i can import a model, slice it, and get it printing in minutes without any fuss or mucking about with endless settings and adjustments. So i don't really see the complaint about Simplify3D, it just works every time for me, and time is money and i can't spend hours tweaking some free program.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”