sprior

Looking for a S3D profile for a Voron 2.4 printer

I'm in the process of building a Voron 2.4 printer (250^3 build area). Does anyone have a S3D profile to share?
th0mpy

Re: Looking for a S3D profile for a Voron 2.4 printer

Honestly, don't bother. SuperSlicer has the profile and is much more capable than Simplify3D at this point.
sprior

This is the last place I expected that reply. I am aware that SuperSlicer has a profile for it, but I still want to have the option to use S3D which I still like better.
DoctorRudd

S3D is dead...
sprior

I don't understand why you are here to give that kind of reply, if S3D is dead to you then why are you still on their forums? While the current version is 2 years old and nobody really believes V5 is ever coming out, the current version does work and for my existing printers is what I still prefer to use (for now), and there is no reason to believe it can't produce gcode for the Voron I'm building. I have looked at SuperSlicer and so far I find its user interface hard to comprehend and I'm familiar with the quirks of S3D.
themrcaveman

S3d is horrible and does not support voron properly. And yes I am here sometimes just to see what happens.
And yes I have tried s3d on my voron. Never did it again. It fails with all kind of extrusion limit issiues.

All the slicer out there are currently better then s3d and updated frequently. So why even bother?
xpsion

S3d seemed to me not horrible at all!, I have been looking for a slicer with similar capabilities on sequential printing with 100% freedom on each model settings including temperatures, speed, etc. Had a looong discussion with Prusa and Cura people.
they asked me why I needed to change all these settings....

Anyway, superslicer is not at all capable to do such things so, whatever nice features it has: it is not by far meeting requirements for manufacturing of special parts in special ways.

In another thread, I noticed ideaMaker, and this one is just perfect! it can do all these manipulations in sequential without making restrictions on how to control the way you want to print.

S3d as such is obsolete, though I like their user interface a lot, but this sequential printing was the only reason for me to be still temped to buy S3d.
But that is of no need anymore.

IdeaMaker is very similar to S3d in certain ways... It looks like these people really think about 3D manufacturing requirements.
JozzGarage

I'll share my experience

I been using S3D with my Ender 3 for about 3 years, used it to print my V2.4 about a year and a half ago. I really had my profile dialed in and was very pleased with the results I was getting. After I completed the V2.4 I was pretty dead set on continuing to use S3D for it, despite the lacking support. Used it for about a year with little to no issues but the lack of support out there made troubleshooting difficult.

I'll admit thee thought of switching to a different slicer was rather daunting since I had a firm grasp on how S3D setting translated into my physical print. Anyways about 9 months ago I decided to make the switch to SuperSlicer. The learning curve was a bit steep but community support makes that easier, everyone here seems to be pushing you in the wrong way, but maybe not in the wrong path. Fiddle with S3D and your Voron, but unless they ever release a groundbreaking update, you'll tire of the little issues and eventually make your way to some other slicer.
sonmezroy

Voron 2.4 and HyperCube are great DIY 3D printers, but they are definitely better for different audiences.
purpuraide

I'e been using Voron 2.4 with S3D for quite some time now, and I can recommend asking the Discord community about up-to-date profile. Here is a lot more activity on the Voron Discord so that is definitely the best place a to ask any questions as you will likely get near-real-time answers from people who have direct experience in these things.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”