flightlead404

Dual Material Settings - MADDENING! Unusable!??!?!

This is driving me nuts!

The relationship between printers, materials settings, and profiles is ENTIRELY OPAQUE and MADDENINGLY NON-INTIUTIVE!

Seriously S3D, its utterly awful, please consider hiring a human interface consultant type boffin for a couple months!

Anyway, rant over. I am using a Qidi Tech 1 dual extruder and printing with ABS in one side, and TPU in the other. This is a pretty common setup for me as I like to use embedded gaskets, embedded "grip strips" and so forth.

I want to have different speeds and other settings for the different materials. I can find no way to do this. Every time I change the speed in the TPU process settings to 30, the speed for ABS changes to 30 as well.

Please tell me I can do this and how? This bloody awful and non-intuitive configuration is really pssing me off!
darKing

Re: Dual Material Settings - MADDENING! Unusable!??!?!

I don't have a dual extruder Setup but I use Multi processes quite often. It sounds to me as if your settings are grouped together? (also this Help article suggests that this may be the case -> https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... extruders/ )

If that is the case: mark one -> edit -> ungroup selection

https://youtu.be/EbQfifnzL4Q (grouping is described at ~3min)
Instrumentation

Re: Dual Material Settings - MADDENING! Unusable!??!?!

My company recently purchased Simplify3D to run our new Modix Big-60.
I'm teaching myself the software in anticipation of running it. I agree 100% that the interactions between Processes, Profiles, Auto-Configuration, and print head selection is downright inscrutable.

I think I will have similar use cases for dual material, and probably be using TPE and PLA. So far, I think I figured it out with different profiles.
First, I made a Profile for the dual extrusion. I adjusted the settings that didn't have a selection for different extruders to match the first extruder.
Second, I tweaked the settings and saved it as a second profile. I adjusted those same settings that don't have separate selections to match what I want the second extruder to do.
Third, I imported a test two-part model. I assigned the models to their respective extruders here, using the profile from step 1 as the "Base Profile Template"
Fourth, I opened "Color2" in the grouped processes, and changed the profile to the tweaked profile from step 2. I also had to manually change the "Primary Extruder" in the Layer tab to the secondary extruder. Maybe that reset when I changed the profile. I don't know.

The print preview animation looked like it was doing what I wanted.

Let me know if this works.

These profiles are super flexible, but managing them looks like it's going to be a nightmare. :?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”