mvincent916

Simplify 3D- One computer/ Two MakerGear M2's

How do you have both printers working at the same time when on one computer and one license? I have one Makergear M2 going on Com8. When I switch "port" drop down menu to Port9 to connect to my second Makergear M2, Simplify 3D does not respond.

Thanks!
gwhite

Re: Simplify 3D- One computer/ Two MakerGear M2's

I only have a single M2, but ANYTIME anything messes with the ports, the connection goes down.

I only print using SD cards, with the printer disconnected from the computer. I've lost too many prints when Microsoft decides to mess with the USB ports in the middle of a print, even when I'm printing from the SD card.
mvincent916

I've got an SD card. I don't have a way to transfer files to SD card:(
S3D-Jake

mvincent916 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:13 pm I've got an SD card. I don't have a way to transfer files to SD card:(
You can use the upload to SD card macro from the Simplify3D Machine Control Panel. Then after the upload completes you can start the SD card print using the aptly named Macro button.

"The Marlin firmware requires the use of the 8.3 naming convention, so the filenames on the SD card can only have up to 8 uppercase characters for the filename and up to 3 uppercase characters for the file extension. For example, “3D_Knot_for_M2.gcode” would need to be renamed to something like “M2KNOT.G” when placed on the SD card. Once you have plugged the card back into your M2, you can use the “Print from SD Card” button in the Machine Control Panel to begin the print. This is particularly useful for large parts so that you do not need to have your computer attached and awake for the entire print. It also offers a much lower latency that USB serial protocols which allows for better print quality." - https://www.simplify3d.com/support/hard ... makergear/
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
airscapes

buy a raspberry pi and install octoprint.. stop using S3d to control your printer, it is a slicer .. you slice, up load gcode to octoprint and then print from there. Did this so long ago it is on a Pi 3 which was new at the time.. Only caveat I found is the pi wireless sucks, even on the pi 4 so I use hardwire to my network, and USB from pi to printer.
S3D-Jake

airscapes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:35 pm buy a raspberry pi and install octoprint.. stop using S3d to control your printer, it is a slicer .. you slice, up load gcode to octoprint and then print from there. Did this so long ago it is on a Pi 3 which was new at the time.. Only caveat I found is the pi wireless sucks, even on the pi 4 so I use hardwire to my network, and USB from pi to printer.
A very helpful and valid option. This is especially useful on printers such as the M2 which don't come with a LCD display.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”