cdub

file naming/saving

When the software exports the gcode, it would be nice if the file extension was just "g" instead of "gcode". It was also be nice if the prompt encouraged you to come up with an 8 character file name as that is all the M2 can handle.

That way, the files that are exported are ready to go on the card to print.

It would also be nice to have an option to auto save the factory file whenever the gcode is prepared. That way if Creator crashes you can get right back to what you were trying to do.
problemchild

Re: file naming/saving

Please don't enforce brief file names. I include lots of info in the long file name on the computer, then shorten the name after moving to the SD card. The long file names can include the name of the profile file used to slice, the slicer tool and version, the model source, etc. If a user wants to use short names on the SD, fine, they can write whatever name they fancy. But, don't force it on the rest of us. The idiosyncrasies of the SD naming scheme should not become a constraint. The trend over the last 40 years of operating system development has been to longer and less constrained names. Don't turn back progress.
cdub

Please note, I didn't ask for the system to mechanically enforce a short file name. All I was asking for was to cut down the file type to "g" and perhaps offer a pop up suggesting a short file name. Everytime I change the file name to shorten the extension, I get an extra dialog box from Windows that is a nuisance.

I'm with you on enjoying the progress on longer file names, but I've seen too many strange things happen in systems that don't support long file names but are fed them anyway.
slipshine

I am with problem child on this.

This is something that isnt broken. So dont fix it.

I use long file names on the sd card. Just drag and drop from windows.

When I go to run it it just shows me a shortened file name. (XXXXX.G)
But I only keep a couple of files on the card so figuring out which one to run is quite simple.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”