dsharp

250000 bps

Any chance support can be added for baud rates higher than 115200? Perhaps the ability to have it settable via a text field rather than a dropdown?
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: 250000 bps

I believe I sent you an email about this as well, but I'll answer it here just for completeness.

We would love to be able to use the 250000 baud rate, but finding cross-platform support for it has been quite a challenge. We actually re-evaluated 4 different libraries over the weekend to see if any of them could offer that support, but not a single one did. We did find one that would work with a single OS, but we're trying to avoid OS-specific code as much as possible. From discussions with some of the other developers, it sounds like support might be added in the future, but the drivers the different libraries use don't support it right now. So short answer is, we will keep investigating it, and if we can find a simple way to do it on all platforms, we'll make it happen.

And the idea of setting the baud rate arbitrarily based on a textbox is probably not feasible. You really need specific driver support for different timing and transmission rates and it isn't an arbitrary choice. More importantly, the microcontrollers we communicate with also have fixed clock rates which mean that specific frequencies actually give better performance. Have a look at some of the ATmega datasheets and you'll see what I mean.
bhedrick

I would like to vote for this too. It is really common to see examples of building the Marlin firmware where the baud rate is 250,000. As a result, the issue you will run into here is that people will have to update their firmware just to use Simplify3D.

I understand your current limitations, but human nature is that if people discover this limitation it may put them off a bit on what has been a great product so far.

I know I was pretty surprised that 250k wasn't an option.

Thanks,
Brooke
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Let me just say that I think you're going to be very happy with 1.0.7 ;)
bhedrick

Wow, that is service to release support for 250000 in a couple of days from my upvote!

Great work.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”