MichaelHerron
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:47 pm

tom wrote:hello,
ok I will try to explain it.
partlist:
Arduino Mega 2560
Ramps1.4
5x DRV 8825
3 Relais automotive
24V Poversupply
12V Powersupply
Display LCD 2004 with SD Card reader or LCD 12864 with SD Card reader
Fan 60mm 12V

so, I think this are the parts.

What we do is, we left all the Cubepro electronics in the print, we cut no cable, we extend the cable and contacted to Ramps1.4 board.
This is not so difficult, you have to find out which connector is which steppermotor and so one.
You need div. cable and some 2mm and 2,54mm connectors.
My colleague helps me out by the Marlin firmware and find the right parametres for the steppermotor.

More Info later I make some pictures.

Sorry for my english (:
I'd like to keep this topic current. I dare say this is important and relevant for ALL owners of this piece of hardware. Please keep us posted on how this conversion is going!

PV_Eng
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:10 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 am

Hi,

I've a new problem with my cubepro profile. Like I said in my last messages, I can extude ABS without issue. But for few days, I have tried to extrude PLA to create support. With the Cubepro software, there is no problem, but with S3D after 5 or 6 mm, the printing stops with the error code F22. Several times I had to disassemble the motor and the extrusion system to clear the clog.

So, I think that my extrusion parameters are not adapted to the PLA. Does anyone has good result with PLA? Which parameters should I use to solve my issue?

Thanks for your answer.

loffler
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:08 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 am

I have had this issue too and had to strip the motors down to free the filament.
In my experience there are a few things that can make this happen though.
Wrong extruder temps is one reason. I run the PLA at 210 for first layer then 200.
If you are doing a mixed material build with ABS and PLA, I find its best not to heat the chamber at all. Only last week I did a mixed build where I heated the chamber and twice had the PLA jam. I ran it again without heating the chamber and it built fine.
Its by no means scientific but I only ever turn the heater on when doing pure ABS prints now. I think its made worse by the fact my PLA is quite old now so may have deteriorated.
BTW, I use the default settings of 0.35 dia, 0.90 multiplier, 0.40 width and get good results at 34mm/s.

MichaelHerron
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:12 pm

PV_Eng wrote:Hi,

I've a new problem with my cubepro profile. Like I said in my last messages, I can extude ABS without issue. But for few days, I have tried to extrude PLA to create support. With the Cubepro software, there is no problem, but with S3D after 5 or 6 mm, the printing stops with the error code F22. Several times I had to disassemble the motor and the extrusion system to clear the clog.

So, I think that my extrusion parameters are not adapted to the PLA. Does anyone has good result with PLA? Which parameters should I use to solve my issue?

Thanks for your answer.
I have had this problem as well. I've narrowed my problems down to the retraction settings.
I dont completely understand the M227/M228 commands, and there are a TON of conflicting posts on other forums about them--most of them pertain to the Cubex, which didn't seem to have as many parameters associated with them.
I would copy the M227/M228 lines from the CUBEPRO software's output and paste them into your profile. I haven't done too much experimentation with how these relate to Simplify's retraction code, but it seems to work enabling retraction but making the retraction a very small amount in software. I can't remember, but it seems to me that if i didn't enable it in software, the M227/M228 commands didn't seem to work either. (too busy to experiment lately)

PV_Eng
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:10 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 am

loffler wrote:I have had this issue too and had to strip the motors down to free the filament.
In my experience there are a few things that can make this happen though.
Wrong extruder temps is one reason. I run the PLA at 210 for first layer then 200.
If you are doing a mixed material build with ABS and PLA, I find its best not to heat the chamber at all. Only last week I did a mixed build where I heated the chamber and twice had the PLA jam. I ran it again without heating the chamber and it built fine.
Its by no means scientific but I only ever turn the heater on when doing pure ABS prints now. I think its made worse by the fact my PLA is quite old now so may have deteriorated.
BTW, I use the default settings of 0.35 dia, 0.90 multiplier, 0.40 width and get good results at 34mm/s.

I tried to extrude PLA without heating the chamber and the printing achieved correctly. But for the mixed material building, after a few tests, I obtain good results by setting the heating chamber parameter to 40°C. The nozzle temperature was 195°C, written in the changing tool Gcode.

I will go on with tests and give you the parameters if some of them change by the future.

MichaelHerron
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:55 am

PV_Eng wrote:
loffler wrote:I have had this issue too and had to strip the motors down to free the filament.
In my experience there are a few things that can make this happen though.
Wrong extruder temps is one reason. I run the PLA at 210 for first layer then 200.
If you are doing a mixed material build with ABS and PLA, I find its best not to heat the chamber at all. Only last week I did a mixed build where I heated the chamber and twice had the PLA jam. I ran it again without heating the chamber and it built fine.
Its by no means scientific but I only ever turn the heater on when doing pure ABS prints now. I think its made worse by the fact my PLA is quite old now so may have deteriorated.
BTW, I use the default settings of 0.35 dia, 0.90 multiplier, 0.40 width and get good results at 34mm/s.

I tried to extrude PLA without heating the chamber and the printing achieved correctly. But for the mixed material building, after a few tests, I obtain good results by setting the heating chamber parameter to 40°C. The nozzle temperature was 195°C, written in the changing tool Gcode.

I will go on with tests and give you the parameters if some of them change by the future.
I've been experimenting with the M227 parameters a bit and think i've stumbled upon something that was causing my filament errors. I do believe the problem is made worse by the chamber temp, but the true cause seems to be the M227 PXXX parameter. I'm running prints now with PETG and using only M227 S100 in place of the M227 PXXX SXXX GXXX FXXX. It is still de-stringing very nicely, but the extruder doesn't skip at all. I believe the P parameter may be the "extra restart distance". The S seems to be the retraction, but it also advances the same amount. (I'm guessing the G and F are speed/accel related extruder params, but haven't confirmed this).
In any case, it looks like the P parameter is causing too much back-pressure in the hot-end and causing extruder skips. When the heat migrates up into the extruder, the filament softens and starts wrapping itself around the idler pulley.. This creates the horrible jams we've all experienced.

You might try replacing your long M227 lines in the scripts with ONLY "M227 S100" and see what that does for you.

BaudR8
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:52 pm

joshhartung wrote:Hmm, for some reason I'm getting a "file protected" error when I give this to the printer. Weird because I did a diff on the two files and didn't see any difference in the headers. I'll try again in the morning.
I was getting this too, until I tried the new profiles provided in tip of the day 30, it looks like the guys over at s3d are trying to deal with windows' automatic conversion of new lines to \r\n's... probably because this doesn't play nice with other print files im assuming. anyways in the profiles provided for version 3.0+, it looks like even in the Windows' profiles, it is now nececssary to have the post processing line:

{REPLACE "\n" "\r\n"}, I would (and the maker of hte profile) put it at the very end right before extension bfb command. It also looks like they have a Mac codex version available in that Tip of the day as well!

Goodfella
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:22 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:07 am

lephino wrote:Hey all, I just saw this post and thought I'd share some stuff with all of you. I've got a cubePro with 3 printheads and have done a TON of printing / test prints to figure out settings that work best for me. I've attached my base .frm which is a very generic base firmware, as well as several of my example profiles for printing. They support multiple printheads, print at a slightly slower speed to stop the violent jerking the machine has, as well as, all gcode in the scripts is very well commented. I'm currently / actively working on the nylon one now, but I can produce solid prints at this point in time. Big thanks out to Joey from support for really helping me tweak simplify for printing on the cubepro!

Hit me up if you have any questions!

(please note, the firmware is for simplify3d, not to try and actually upload to the printer... Tools > Firmware Configuration > import)
Hi, thank you for sharing. Is it also safe to use it on CubePro Duo? If not, what should i change? Thanks for reply.

CompoundCarl
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Yes, they have profiles for the CubePro Duo as well. You can get them here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3113&p=13735

Goodfella
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:22 am

Re: CubePro Compatibility

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 am

CompoundCarl wrote:Yes, they have profiles for the CubePro Duo as well. You can get them here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3113&p=13735
Thank you very much!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”