Jcat

Filling in Holes that are not supposed to be filled.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Completely new here, and to 3D Printers. I'm sure this isn't a bug and more likely something I'm doing wrong (or I would have posted this in the troubleshooting section).

I have a FF Dreamer.
I downloaded a phone charging stand which has holes and a valley-like trail at the base (for the charger wire to feed through). I basically went with the default settings to start. The problem is, all the pass-through holes are are being filled in to make one solid model. Merge All Outlines (in Advanced) is not checked.

What's bugging me is... if I run the stock Dreamer software (Flashprint) -- it prints everything correctly- all gaps, holes, valleys..etc Any ideas? I just purchased this a few hours ago. Many thanks.

JoeJ

Re: Filling in Holes that are not supposed to be filled.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:13 am

Post a factory file so that we can take a look. Go to File --> Save Factory File

Jcat

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 am

First time doing this, so I hope I did - hope this is what you mean by Factory file? Thanks
Attachments
phonestand2.factory
(39.02 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
phonestand1.factory
(39.02 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

ole_blue_moon

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello,

Looks like you have support turned off. I would try turning on support, and reducing the support pillar resolution down to 1.00 mm. This should make the 8 small holes in the vertical plate have easily removable support material with a drill or needlenose pliers or xacto knife. It will not put any other support so the extra print time will be minimal. Not sure why you are getting fill in the vertical hole between the plates or the chamfered semi circle as neither one should require any support.

Maybe someone else has a better solution.

As a side note I have made changes settings in S3D always trying to make things better and have managed to make things worse not better, then tried the Flashprint again and got a better result than any. The Dreamer is a good printer for what it cost and has produced excellent results for me.

lowracer

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:43 pm

I have the same problem. I am trying to print geometric shapes that have toroidal structures in contact with the bed. Wherever these geometries are in contact with the bed, they are filled in. Example is this thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:440961. The faces of the dodecahedron are completely filled in after slicing with S3D. I can (and have) sliced this with Slic3r as well as CuraEngine with no problems. I have tried this with support off as well as on, same result.

rforeman

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Hey Jcat you need to run the .stl file through this site.
https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/

It's a Micrsoft site.
You have to sign up or log in with a Microsoft account but it will fix the issue.

Jcat

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:01 am

Thanks for the help guys. The suggestions didn't work out I'm afraid. Oh, rforemen -- thanks for the link. I posted the file, but soon realized it wasn't something instant. The progress bar remained at 5% for an hour, which is when I noticed in small print, my object was waiting in a queue, so I jumped ship . All other stil files (that had gaps/holes, etc..) are totally fine. It's just this model. No biggie, I just printed it with Flashprint and ended my affair with this file. 8-)

rforeman

Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:43 am

Jcat wrote:Thanks for the help guys. The suggestions didn't work out I'm afraid. Oh, rforemen -- thanks for the link. I posted the file, but soon realized it wasn't something instant. The progress bar remained at 5% for an hour, which is when I noticed in small print, my object was waiting in a queue, so I jumped ship . All other stil files (that had gaps/holes, etc..) are totally fine. It's just this model. No biggie, I just printed it with Flashprint and ended my affair with this file. 8-)
WOW :shock: I use that site all the time and it only takes me 30 to 60 seconds. They must have been having server issues.

Jcat

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:01 am

rforeman wrote: WOW :shock: I use that site all the time and it only takes me 30 to 60 seconds. They must have been having server issues.
Yeah, I think submitting it at 5:30 PM may have not been a good idea. :)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”