kirkg

Help broken infill???

ok so I cant figure it out? I've tried turning up the infill width (up to 175%and everywhere in between) and that would look pretty good but after printing about 5-10 layers it would stop extruding so I have tried turning up the temp and now im back to broken infill patterns again....I have been battling with this for about 3-4 hours now and haven't been able to fix what I thought would have been pretty easy to fix.

the only place there is infill left is where the patterns cross just leaving pillars.

any suggestions? I have read a bunch of other threads on here about this but nothing seems to be helping?

can I turn down the infill travel speed?

Thanks
kirkg

Re: Help broken infill???

Oh yeah... I'm printing in pla and using 15% infill
jimc

ok broken infill can be a head scratcher sometimes because its usually a combination of a few things. here is a list in order of priority:

#1 be sure random infill placement box is unchecked
#2 infill width is 150% or higher.
#3 temp is too high
#4 nozzle is partially clogged
#5 infill is being printed too fast with the temp too high
#6 filament has alot moisture in it

you really didnt mention the type of plastic you were using. some plastics like pet are prone to this and your settings really need to be dialed in right. if not the first indicator your not set right is broken infill and blobs of plastic collecting on the nozzle.
kirkg

I'm Printing in PLA and iv'e tried temps from 195-210 with the infill width varying from 100-175 but it seemed like once i got a decent infill for the first layer or 2 than it would just start coming apart after that and once i got the infill with to 145 or higher and tried to let it finish the print to see how it would come out about half or 3/4 the way through it would jam in the nozzle and stop printing. so that's when i started turning the temp up thinking that the nozzle wasn't hot enough to melt that amount of plastic but it still jammed and the infill was even worse. i'm pretty sure the 197 temp is pretty good because it worked well in other slicers

i'm am just printing a 50mm square 6mm high with no top or bottom layers so i can concentrate on just the in fill.
i started with just 1 outside perimeter but changed to 2 since the perimeters seemed to print fine and they extrude less plastic thinking that it would give the extruder more time to prep for the higher extrusion in the center.

i can check the nozzle to see if it is partially clogged and i would like to say that it could be to much moisture in filament but i tried 2 different rolls one new and the other is about 5-6 months old. the air is also very dry here in Maine right now do to our winter so i don't think that the filament would be pulling in to much moisture from the air and i store my rolls in gallon freezer bags with desiccants in them.
FrankBlack

jimc wrote:ok broken infill can be a head scratcher sometimes because its usually a combination of a few things. here is a list in order of priority:

#1 be sure random infill placement box is unchecked
#2 infill width is 150% or higher.
#3 temp is too high
#4 nozzle is partially clogged
#5 infill is being printed too fast with the temp too high
#6 filament has alot moisture in it
Your list contains good things and bad things. #2, Are you saying it is bad or good to have infill width greater than 150%?
jimc

ahhh yes, that is confusing. 150% or higher is good and will help with broken infill.

kirk, it really sounds more like you have a clogged nozzle or the hot end is tight making the filament hard to extrude. my old hot end used to do the same thing whenever i would swap plastic types too much. it would leave a skin of plastic in the bore of the hot end which would sit there, cook and get stiff. swap filament out and it would do it again and so on and so on until it got tight and give me the exact problem you are seeing.
kirkg

OK so i finally for a test print to come out OK but by sacrifice speed.

I had to turn my speed down half way from 3600mm/min to 1800mm/min and have the infill width set to 150%. them i tried to bump the speed up to 2700mm/min and no dice...even with temps up to 210 and infill width up to 200% i was still getting broken infill? Maybe ill try 2250mm/min and see if i can get that to work?
jimc

This is textbook partial hotend clog.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”