Bassna

Give me your Infill tips

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:02 pm

I have tried so many different way's of printing infill. I'm starting to lose faith with S3D to be honest. I love every part of this program, but my print's are just so much weaker than when using other slicer's.
I have not even used another since I had bought S3D, and just made a identical print of this star that I made around Christmas time with Makerware, and I can just feel how much weaker it is. I just used the normal infill setting's for this though, mainly because anything more on big print's will make more issues.

I've tried 200%+ extrusion width, other infill setting's, different infill angle's, but nothing really "works" good. I either get very crappy infill with normal setting's, or jacking up the setting's with anything other than a small print will make my extruder's click and break the infill if it's cranked up to 200% or so (Flashforge creator pro).
IMAG1239.jpg
Normal, no clicking or breaking, but very poor adhesion and much weaker when squeezed compared to other slicer infill.
IMAG1237.jpg
200% width, clicking, breaking.
I'm just wondering what you guy's are using for your infill setting's, etc. I hate making thing's that seem weak for certain order's I do, like this star. Are we just doomed with this infill problem forever or what? I feel like we are beating a dead horse about it.

jimc

Re: Give me your Infill tips

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 pm

The problem you are having with your infill at 200 is that your extruder cant push that much material as fast as it needs to. Turn your temp up or reduce your print speed. You have just reached the limits of extrusion speed of your hardware. Crank the temp up 10 deg and see what happens.

Bassna

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:30 pm

jimc wrote:The problem you are having with your infill at 200 is that your extruder cant push that much material as fast as it needs to. Turn your temp up or reduce your print speed. You have just reached the limits of extrusion speed of your hardware. Crank the temp up 10 deg and see what happens.
How high do you recommend going with ABS? It was getting pretty stringy in part's at 235 or so.

jimc

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Well im not too familiar with the extruder on your machine. I am running an e3dv6 and abs is always 245-255. It is the same temp with the stock hot end on my machine. 235 seems on the lower end for sure. I could see at those temps why you wouldnt be able to extrude quickly.

Bassna

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Well cranked the heat up, still the same problem. I was gonna take a pic but my phone's dead, but just see picture's above, same look. Weak broken infill. This is trying at 200%, just to try to get decent infill.

jimc

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:54 pm

any way you look at it your not extruding the amount of filament that the slicer is asking your machine to extrude. that is not what 200% infill looks like. your hot end just cant extrude the correct amount of filament so its either something that is inherent in the design of your extruder/hot end where it cant melt the plastic fast enough or your nozzle or hot end is partially clogged. the only other explanation is that you are trying to print with a large bore nozzle and your printing extremely fast. what you have there is what i get if i run a .6 nozzle at 5000mm/min .3 layer height and 200% infill. thats just a ton of plastic to extrude and the hot zone is too small to melt the plastic fast enough. i would need the volcano mod for that. perhaps someone with your printer can chime in if they get the same thing at 200% with the same settings.

another quick test would be to do the same print but cut the print speed in half and see what happens

Bassna

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Well I went and checked it again, and this is what had happened. Not sure what happened. I've cleaned the extruder's and such quite a bit. I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow.
IMAG1292.jpg

curious aardvark

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:25 am

I hear you.

Why there can't be an option to produce a solid infill rather than this super weak 'every other level' infill is beyond me.

One work round is to increase the infill width to 250% That might cause issues if printing at speed and it's not pretty.
It's not perfect and still nowhere near as strong as makerware infill (I'm using a flashforge creator) But it does bond the layers together and does make it acceptably strong.

I mean this is a simple thing - why isn't there an option to bond every layer of infill to the one below it ?

MFitz73

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am

Yeah a few issues I have with s3d are centering around infill. I can only describe the infill and spongy when set to default settings.
I do really like s3d for all that it offers.
something I do want to mention is that there are all sorts of slicers available to us and some do certain things better than others.
I use a few, makerware, simplify3d and slic3r. out of the 3 I use, I find myself going back to slic3r more and more.... and its f r e e :o

KC_703

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:19 am

Adding in a solid infill every 10-20 layers seems to yield pretty strong infill. Or increasing the number of shells for the perimeter should help also... of course the more shells, the heavier the part. Creating a 2mm shell should make the part pretty strong.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”