Joao

LFS Elephant - help slicing - vertical spacing?

Hello,

I am having some difficulties slicing correctly the LFS_Elephant http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:257911

My problem are the top of the legs.
I don't know how to make S3D to give same vertical space between the top leg part and the body. Everything I tried does not seem to make any difference (top, bottom layers, horizontal spacing compensation, no infill, etc).

This is a cross section of that area
cross section
cross section
After slicing, that space seems to disappear/ignored, and the highest part of the leg gets cut off and the infill of the body starts overlaying it.
Here I have 0 bottom and 0 top solid layers, because if it does, then the solid bottom layers will be added just like in this picture the infill is, overlapping the cut off section of the leg.
sliced with S3d
sliced with S3d
The same area with Cura, only using the default settings. Leg gets filled completely and body does not touch it on that vertical spacing.
sliced with Cura
sliced with Cura
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 08.22.11.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 5132 times

This is something that I would like to learn how to achieve with S3D.
Any tips?

Thanks
Last edited by Joao on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeJ

Re: LFS Elephant - help slicing - vertical spacing?

None of your images are showing up for me...
habloIngles

image links are broken, but FWIW, I have sliced the LFS elephant and printed it many times on my printrbot simple, and it came out correct and moving
Joao

Sorry about the images.
This forum template makes it hard to share images, I used google drive to host them but then only people with a google account logged in could see them.
Let me know if they work now.

Can someone please share the profile settings used with S3D for this object?
I don't think this is related with what printer we use but which settings we use for the slicer, because the layers view shows that the body gets merged with the legs, right?

Thanks
JoeJ

Images still aren't working. Why don't you just use the Upload feature when posting to upload the images? Very simple.

Better yet, why don't you post a factory file from S3D (file --> save factory file). That way we can see the settings you are using. Right now you are asking for help without showing us any settings or pictures of the results, so....
habloIngles

I printed it with the stock printrbot simple profile, no changes.
Joao

I was trying to use google drive or dropbox to share the images, it was a bad idea, sorry.

I have found the problem.
There is one setting in the Advanced tab that makes all faces merged together, and I had it checked.
Merge outlines
Merge outlines
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 18.40.43.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
Now the sliced object is perfect.
Vertical spacing preserved
Vertical spacing preserved
Thank you

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”