Adrian

SD Card printing

Hi all, loving Creator & my new M2 but I just had the following issue and I haven't been able to find a solution in the forums:

I successfully began printing on from the SD card (by using the Print from SD card command), then restarted my computer causing the print indefinitely pause.

Anything I should be aware of?

Setup:
M2
S3D V1.1.4
Black PLA using default high-quality settings
Mac OS 10.8.3
Setup:
M2
S3D V1.1.4
Black PLA using default high/medium quality settings
Mac OS 10.8.3
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: SD Card printing

Adrian,

I haven't tried this in a while. Early on, I was using Creator to print from SD Card (M2). I clicked "disconnect" and the printer basically did an e-stop, aborting the print. I think the way I got it to work was to start the SDCard print and then pull the USB cable.

I'm going from memory here....

I'm using Linux Mint 13 / Cinnamon. What I'd LIKE is for all the following to work flawlessly:

1. Start print from SD Card, pull USB cable, print continues and finishes.
2. Start print from SD Card, close Machine Control Panel and Creator, print continues and finishes.
3. Start print from SD Card, click "Disconnect" in Machine Control Panel, close MCP, go to creator, work on next print job, SD Card print continues and finishes.

Also, I would like to understand how the MCP interacts with the RAMBo/Marlin (M2) firmware while an SD Card print is active. Do commands like changing fan speed or bed/extruder temperature "tunnel" through and take effect?

Dale

p.s.: for Linux Mint users: I've found it helpful to add "your" account to the "dialup" group so you don't have to use sudo or start as root in order to have read/write access to /dev/ttyacm*. Whenever I can't connect, I've found it's because I don't have permission on the USB "device" for the printer. Would be nice if the Linux installer could be run as "not root" (to catch your username), then request the root password when needed, and also offer to add you to the "dialup" group.

Sorry for going off topic. Just a bunch of little things came to mind....
kaink

Does your m2 power up when you plug in the USB? Or does it always run? I would guess you need to switch the Power Select jumper on the board. On my m2 it came with the jumper set to USB power rather than PSU power. Reference http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-electronics to where its at.
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

kaink,

Yeah, I caught that the first time I tried and moved the jumper. I'm powering the board from the PSU. not USB. I can pull the cable and keep printing, but trying to disconnect "more gracefully" caused me some problems. Of course, since it did, I haven't tried it again, so this may have been fixed. Next time I fire it up, I'll give this a try. I don't want to have Clayton et al trying to find a problem they fixed long ago....
kaink

I have had some weird unexplained pauses. A couple times when disconnecting or if I leave my laptop plugged into the printer and it goes to sleep. When it wakes up the print will pause. I can usually hit force next when that happens and it continues. I always print from SD unless I am printing very small things. The problems have been very rare though.
Adrian

Thanks for all the responses!
Dale, I tried yanking the cable and that did not interrupt the print, thanks for the suggestion.
Also I can confirm that clicking disconnect does interrupt the print.

Kaink, I double checked the jumper and it is set to PSU.

Not sure if this is a Simplify or MakerGear issue to address but messing with the computer should not affect a SD card print.

Thanks for the help.
Setup:
M2
S3D V1.1.4
Black PLA using default high/medium quality settings
Mac OS 10.8.3
corso45

Hello...

Would somebody have the capacity to give me a diagram of the correct strides to printing with the gave SD card on the Robo R1 utilizing MatterControl..?
Can't discover much on the web, and I've attempted a few blends of steps yet have all brought about my print halting when I unplug the USB link from my PC..., It would be ideal if you and much appreciated!
Edward44

Hello,

I do not understand sd card printing I mean how you can print in sd card I don't have knowledge in that service so share some experience to me if this work is interesting because I am also giving printing services.

Thanks in Advance

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”