Rebekah_harper

Windows 10

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:13 pm

hiya all.

this really is aimed at the SW engineers.

Is Simplify3D ready for windows 10 ?

TenKOhms

Re: Windows 10

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 pm

This same thread came around when Yosemite beta was announced. When the beta first came out it wasn't compatible with s3d at the time, but Yosemite was still in beta. Before Yosemite became an official release I believe s3d released a big update which also made it compatible with yosemite. Long story short, if the OS itself is in beta, don't expect stability for everything, but I'm sure the s3d guys will have it covered.

dkightley

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:57 am

Is Simplify3D ready for windows 10 ?
A simple question .....but only when put in context!

As Windows 10 is being offered in an attempt to recover from the disaster of Windows 8 ( why else would they offer it as a free upgrade? ). I think it would be self-defeating if at the same time Microsoft remove the ability of running applications that are capable of being run on previous Windows (ie 7 & 8) versions. So to answer the question "Will Simplify3D run on the official release of Windows 10 if I upgrade my PC from Windows 7 or 8 later in the year?", then I would think the answer is "Yes".

If the question is "Will Simplify3D run on the trial versions of Windows 10 that are available if I upgrade my PC from Windows 7 or 8 before the official release?" , then my answer would be "Possibly!", on the basis that theres a risk that some of the drivers and/or support dlls needed to run the current S3d code may not be available in the trial versions.

The other context for the question...and its an interesting one, is "Will Simplify3D run on Windows 10 on a tablet or phone?" I think here we're in the realms of future development of the software. I can see quite easily the requirement to download a shape from the internet onto s3d running on your Windows phone, and then sending it wirelessly to your printer.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

curious aardvark

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:43 am

surely changing from window 7 to windows 10 should be considered a major DOWNGRADE, not an upgrade :-)

SphereNoob

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:53 am

dkightley wrote: The other context for the question...and its an interesting one, is "Will Simplify3D run on Windows 10 on a tablet or phone?" I think here we're in the realms of future development of the software. I can see quite easily the requirement to download a shape from the internet onto s3d running on your Windows phone, and then sending it wirelessly to your printer.
right now, you can run s3d on windows 8 tablets, but there's a slight requirement, which will probably be similar to mobile windows 10 devices. The CPU can't be a mobile processor (like all of the RT tablets) such as NVIDIA or ARM, but the Surface Pro's for example or even the windows 8 tabs running intel atom's, can run s3d right now.

KAS

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm not one to speculate why they are offering Win10 for free. I do think it's interesting that they are providing licensed copies of win10 to pirated versions of 7 & 8. The only reason I can see them do that is to change the style of upgrade/purchase model they have now to something that matches a micro transaction to apply some update or feature. Instead of years going by then a complete overhaul, we might see the overhaul happen gradually while they nickle and dime us.

I'm sure they have a plan, and I guarantee it's not to give away one of their flagship programs without turning some kind of profit.

Either way, to answer the OP question. I'm using Win10 and have no problems with S3D.

BaudR8

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm

A more Microsoft-friendly speculation could be they're attempting to un-fragment the windows os users. A ton of people are still using XP and even older, providing 10 for free may help establish a more uniform user base

ssayer

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm

And a less Microsoft-friendly speculation could be that they have better keys in it for the NSA...

dkightley

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm glad to hear that the OP's question has been answered. :roll:

S3D will run on the pre-release release version.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

sprior

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 pm

My take on why Windows 10 is being offered as a free upgrade for Windows 7+ is as follows:

When Microsoft was looking to implement tablet support they were also looking at Apple and Google taking a cut of every piece of software sold on those devices via their app stores. Microsoft's model was that once you bought a machine with Windows, unless you bought Office that's all the money they ever got from you. So they solved this by creating a new API for tablet mode applications and the only way you can install such an application is via the Microsoft Store (where Microsoft of course gets a cut). Now they're doing everything they can to make traditional Windows applications look obsolete so consumers will want the new app style. This is the actual meaning of the "Windows as a service" model Microsoft has been talking about.

So why give Windows 7 users a free upgrade? To get them on the new app store model as soon as possible.

I've been using WIndows 10 since it first came out in preview, and can say that it is a significant improvement from Windows 8, especially on devices like the Surface Pro 3 which transition between laptop and tablet mode usage. I think most Windows 7 users will like it too,though people are always going to grumble about any user interface changes.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”