lllusion

Mysterious Holes on Print

Hi guys,

I just got the M2 recently and been toying it around with Creator. But I've got some issues with the slicing where mysterious holes starts to appear as i tried to print in higher resolution!

The attached picture is a gcode preview of a yoda model (with the ear piercing hole tht is not supposed to be there).

The layer height is at .15mm and the settings are according to tomlombardi's.

It seems like the model just gets more and more distorted as the layer height gets reduced ( In fact, I hit 0.02mm, his eyelids and ears completely disappeared!). Im new to this and not sure if this is meant to happen!

But is there anyway to get a better resolution print without any distortions...?
Attachments
yoda.png
lllusion

Re: Mysterious Holes on Print

Ok! Mystery solved!!!
I reduced the extrusion settings and tht solved everything!

Here's the final print at 0.10mm with Natural PLA! Total print time ~3 hours.
Attachments
image.jpg
Clayton

Very nice! Looking good!
M3Jim

Would you be so kind as to tell us exactly what you changed? I don't understand how the extrusion settings could affect the part like this. I think if you described what you changed I might better understand what I am doing.

Have a great day,
Jim
lllusion

Hi Jim!

Sorry i was away for quite some time! But here goes:

1. Click on the "Add" tab when creating a new manufacturing operation. A new window "FFF Settings" will appear.
2. Click the "Show Advanced" tab at the bottom and the window will expand.
3. You should be in the "Extruder" section, you will see the "Overview" section.
4. From there, I change the "Extrusion Diameter" settings to 0.24mm.

And thats it! Tell me if it works for you!

Cheers,
Jason
slipshine

I copied this from a different thread but it explains it.

With this software they have made printing at the correct size a priority. Because of that if a feature is smaller than the extrusion width it will be ignored.

If you are using 1.75 mm filament and you print at .25mm layer height the auto extrusion will be .39 mm. So any feature that is larger than .39 mm will print. When you drop to .1mm layer height the auto extrusion width will change to .96 so you will loose any features that are smaller than .96mm .

The work around for this is to turn down the extrusion multiplier to a lower setting. Like .5 . then print a test cube with 1 shell no top and no fill. Measure what the thickness of the wall of the part you just printed is. Uncheck auto extrusion width and type in your new number. You can play with this procedure to get exactly what thickness you need.
Aha

slipshine wrote:I copied this from a different thread but it explains it.

With this software they have made printing at the correct size a priority. Because of that if a feature is smaller than the extrusion width it will be ignored.

If you are using 1.75 mm filament and you print at .25mm layer height the auto extrusion will be .39 mm. So any feature that is larger than .39 mm will print. When you drop to .1mm layer height the auto extrusion width will change to .96 so you will loose any features that are smaller than .96mm .

The work around for this is to turn down the extrusion multiplier to a lower setting. Like .5 . then print a test cube with 1 shell no top and no fill. Measure what the thickness of the wall of the part you just printed is. Uncheck auto extrusion width and type in your new number. You can play with this procedure to get exactly what thickness you need.

Wait, I'm completely missing that. Why is it that with dropping to a higher resolution where it should print details roughly 2.5x times as fine does it actually decrease the features shown by the same amount? That's basically making the granularity inverse of the original intent... Maybe my brain is just fried after work, but I'm not following why you get the reverse result.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”