M3Jim

Asymmetric supports on "symmetric" model

Hi,

I am getting supports on only one side of a model that should be symmetric. I know that it is unlikely to be perfectly symmetric, but it is close. I am attaching the factory file so you can see what I mean. Is there a setting I am missing? This is the first model I have done with supports, so I don't know if the problem is me, or something else.

Have a great day,
Jim
Attachments
Fishing_lure_JB.factory
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
Clayton

Re: Asymmetric supports on "symmetric" model

Hey Jim,

First off, I had a look at the fishing lure model and you should know that there are a lot of problems with that STL file. Backwards normals, self-intersecting surfaces, etc. Creator has some great tools to help you identify and potentially solve these problems, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware (since it may cause problems downstream!).

But about your actual question, the easiest thing to do would be to lower your horizontal grid spacing to 2 or 3mm. That setting is basically used to determine the resolution of your support pillars. If you have a complex model, it may require a lower value so that you get better resolution to correctly model the needed support. 4 or even 6mm is fine for many parts and we rarely go below 2mm, but it all depends on the actual model being printed.
M3Jim

Re: Asymmetric supports on "symmetric" model

Thanks Clayton, that was the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

I knew the model was a mess, but I had cleaned it up in netfabb. Unfortunately, I had made some changes and forgot to go through netfabb again. I am impressed how Creator handles these kinds of problems. I have had models print easily that I couldn't print in other software. Anyhow, this was my fault.

As far as the support suggestions, I was unaware of the options you mentioned. Thank you for giving me some direction. Are these things I would have found if I had read the manual? Supports are definitely something that seems a little overwhelming to me right now, but like many of the other details of 3d printing, I just need to dive in and figure it out.

Thanks again,
Jim

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”