ftherrmann

manually defined support not showing up?

I have support enabled and the 4 manual supports I added show up before slicing. After slicing only two of the supports show up and they are not touching the arch that needs support. I've tried changing the angle in the auto support tab, but I'm not seeing anything different. Please see the two screen grabs.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Fred
Attachments
support layers2.png
support layers.png
tri-lite

Re: manually defined support not showing up?

Without a Factory File, it's really hard provide a definitive answer (we can't really see your scale or settings), but I can provide something I've learned about supports from using S3D since 2013.

You are MUCH better to construct your support structure as if it was a network. Try to avoid placing a single support anywhere, as if it was a pillar.

When your supports are actually printed, you will see that those individual pillars are connected together to form something that looks like an accordian - the individual supports are all connected together into a support network. As a network, they print better, they remove better, and they will stick to your build plate better.

Individual supports (single pillars) tend to be hard to print, might not stick as well to your print bed, and are fraught with tendencies to topple over as the extruder passes by them.

So, my first advice is to go back and create a support network rather than those 4 individual pillars. To create a network, you may need to reduce the size of the supports. I can't see your settings, but if you used 4mm supports, change them to 2mm and first, click the button to generate supports automatically. Look at how the support network is constructed. Then you can delete all the supports you do not feel are necessary.

This advice is woefully inadequate because I cannot see your Factory File to confirm your settings, but I hope the general advice I've learned over time may be of help to you.
bot

That is just the way Simplify 3D deals with the horizontal offset setting for support. It (for some reason) always ensures that setting is respected, even when it will prevent the support from getting anywhere close to the surface that requires support. My advice is to lower the horizontal offset as much as possible, paying attention to other support areas in the process that may be negatively affected.
Grzyby15

Interesting stuff. Learned a lot from it. Thanks:)
dsegel

Also, S3D amplifies the actual distance between the support and the model when showing supports in the preview window. The gap it shows is much larger than what will actually be printed.
deutchbag

I definitely agree with Tri and the gang that separation distance needs to be adjusted as well as the size of the pillars needs to be decreased to increase the quality the "support network" will bring to your prints.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”