jimc

Re: Where has the list of profiles gone ?

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:34 am

i dont know maybe its just my workflow. i have always been taught to save and in s3d save is export. in 2.5 years of using the program i have never gone into it to find the profiles that it has internally. if i make alterations to a profile that i like i save it. i always considered the update thing to be a temporary thing for that session only.

Wisar

Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm

In v2 the profiles were .fff files that you loaded, used, changed, and saved if need be. In v3 they hid the equivalent of the .fff file. You now save their version and think to yourself that saving something actually means it will be there tomorrow. Well it doesn't because there are failure modes for Simplify3D that restart the software in it's initial state, wiping out the hidden, internal, profiles. Yes, if you saved your work by doing the extra step of the export you are ok.

Should this really be necessary? Maybe so if I am the only person that cares!

falstaffpac

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

The current saved state of your profile on a WIN system is located at: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Simplify3D\S3D-Software\savedState.factory if that is helpful. This file is updated every time you make a change to your profile and hit the "OK" button. I don't know how this is more helpful than simply hitting the "OK" button then the "Update Profile" button after making configuration changes, but there it is. If you are on a system other than WIN, I cannot help but can certainly understand why.

I haven't experienced the "failure mode" you have described. If you are finding S3D is crashing on a regular basis, I would suggest completely uninstalling and rebooting your system, then reinstall. I suspect this behavior <i>could</i> be attributed to an older system without enough RAM, but I run S3D on a relatively older system and haven't had any problems.

jimc

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Really i think its just partially a name issue. S3d should not call it export. They should call it save. To me its not an extra step. It is what it is...a save function. Make a folder called processes or whatever and save all your profiles there. I think the other problem is that you are used to using v2 in a way it was really not intended anyway. You never should have had to dig into an s3d folder where the program system files are located to find your fff's. Even in that version they called it export.....again i always thought that was a wrong choice and confused people. In anycase i guess i dont see the issue because nothing has changed for me from v2 to v3.

Wisar

Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:28 am

Ok, I surrender! Unfortunately I am running on a iMac, a relatively new one, and not lacking in power in answer to an earlier post. Maybe I should be running on my Windows machine but the iMac is my primary platform. I don't crash that often but I did recently and that is what started this rant as I had not exported my profiles. Maybe I am more susceptible to failure because I am on a Mac? I have done the whole install and reinstall thing before when working on dual extruder issues in v2 ... which is where I learned about the "reset all settings" menu option. Hmmm. Software with a reboot button.

Had I still be running in v2 it would not have been an issue because the import and export function are right there on the edit process settings form and the save is to an .FFF file in a directory of my choosing.

On v3 they changed that nomenclature to "Update Profile" and "Save as New" and the save is actually done to somewhere hidden from me on OSX. I did not realize this until said crash. So yes, maybe I should have known to do an export. I did not. I got upset. I started to wonder why they felt this change was needed. I still don't see why.

But it really doesn't matter! There are a lot of great things about the software. Love the support feature, love the slicer and the graphical renderer, think they have come a long way in supporting the two extruders, and I like the factory concept.

Am not going to say anything else about some of the rough edges as I would still buy the software if given a choice, and even recommend it, but enough said!

Thanks for the dialog and for trying to help!

Cheers,
Wisar

jimc

Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:01 am

i run on a mac and windows machine. mac primarily. im not going to argue there arent crash issues with v3. it is there and been happening to alot of people on all the platforms. it was a massive update and there was bound to be some issues which i hope they sort out next update. the same thing happened when v2 was first released and that was nowhere near the massive change that v3 was. atleast until the next update i would suggest you export/save more frequently.

Wisar

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 am

Frequent crashes giving them all the more reason to make it easier to export profiles...why not an export all function? Or at least remember the name of the profile that you have selected for export and populate the save file name with it? It is these little things that drive me nuts about their software. Do they employ a usability person to test their stuff? Good software that could be so much better with some quality control and some more voice of the customer.

ClintGoss1

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 am

Export ALL would be a huge help ... I have dozens of profiles and now, in order to diagnose a crash issue (version 4.0.1) when I change profiles, support tells me to reset and then re-import all my profiles. Aside from the fact that I use the order of the profiles as part of my workflow ... exporting each profile individually is a pain ...

And for those who lose all their configuration work on a forced reset ... deepest sympathy.
-- Clint Goss

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”