curious aardvark

Where has the list of profiles gone ?

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:26 am

I have two printers that use different profiles.
I usually have both loaded into simplify at the same time.

But all I get now is the single profile for my flashforge creator and when i add another process I can't find the list of profiles for different printers.
I get you're trying to make things idiot proof.
But this is too simplistic. How do I get the list of profiles for different machines back without reloading simplify3d to get back to the 'pick a profile' section of the install process ?

Even if it's just a list of profiles I've created myself.
And can I shut off automatically updating profiles from your server, 'cos that would be a right bugger for the klic-n-print. The standard s3d profiles not onl;y have the bed size wrong but do weird things to the z-axis screw.
I'd hate to recreate my s3d v2 profile only to have it overwritten by yours :-)
Cheers.

JoeJ

Re: Where has the list of profiles gone ?

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:58 am

Just go to help --> configuration assistant and select the profile you want. If you have 2 printers, just do that twice and then you will only have 2 printers in your drop down list. It won't overwrite your existing profiles, it will always make a copy if there is a naming conflict.

curious aardvark

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:25 pm

cheers I'll give that a go as soon as I manage to get it to talk to the flashforge lol

Some things needed messing with - the profile section didn't. Oh well, if i ever get it working as well as version 2, I'll no doubt be chuffed with the new stuff.

At the moment I'm still using the previous version - 'cos it works :-)
And i haven't had time to mess with the new profiles

Wisar

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 am

Completely and totally agree that messing with profiles was not needed and has resulted in a step BACKWARDS. This feels to me like something that was done to further lock down the software by requiring a signon when accessing a new profile. In other words this change was purely done for revenue protection not for the customer. No, don't try and tell me how wonderful it is to have the profiles in the cloud. They could just as easily be downloaded on demand.

Having decided to put the profiles in the cloud is one thing. To then hide the customized profiles is really where things are messed up. Simplify3D is good software but is still far from great. The step up from 2 to 3 is a big one and has addressed some of my issues with the product, but it is still the a buggy piece of software especially considering it is not free! With version 2 there was an occasional need to "reboot" the software via the "Reset all Settings" option under Help. The need to do this seems to be less under the new version but it has not gone away. When you do need to reboot the software your custom profiles go away. Nice eh? No warning that they have changed since the last export, no automatic backing of them up, just WHACK and they are gone.

Sorry, to what ever product manager was responsible for the new profile system, but your work on this part of the upgrade really SUCKS.

How about the team spending more time on adding user demanded enhancements, cleaning up the GUI, and fixing all the remaining bugs before you put further time into revenue protection? The best road to revenue is high quality software and you still have some room for improvement in this regard.

Wisar

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:59 pm

Speaking of cleanup. How about a single button export of profiles now that you have hidden them? Or if you can't do that how about at least using the Profile Name as the default file name instead of presenting a blank dialog box? This is the kind of oversight that is common in the Simplify3D GUI and irks this user. Or maybe you could just un-hide the profiles???

jimc

Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:02 am

wow tell us how you really feel..lol

in any case concerning the profiles. is there a reason you would want a list of profiles for tons of different printers that you dont have or use? s3d downloads the profile for your printer. if you want to save the profile to your computer then you export it. its basically the same as it was before. sure things are located in different places so it might take a min to get used to but all the functions are still there. nothing is hidden. the profiles are wherever you saved them. i have had a couple glitches and issues with the new version but nothing serious. the profile system so far has worked flawlessly for me.

falstaffpac

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:31 am

I figured the whole point of keeping the profiles in the cloud is so the company can update profile changes centrally when new features are added. Personally, in version 2.x I would delete all the printer profiles except the one printer I own. After I made the config changes I wanted I would save my own profile and delete the S3D profile, leaving my own profile and the "default" profile (which I couldn't delete!). Then when I learned how to edit the *.xml file and botched it, I would have to "reset to factory defaults" and repeat the process. I think its just a matter of how each user likes to run their software. I prefer the new system b/c it keeps my configuration files uncluttered.

FWIW, I imagine it would take all of 15 minutes to d/l each profile available in the cloud. I actually considered doing this only b/c I want to see all the different printer bed STL files available.

Wisar

Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:05 pm

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE PROFILES IN THE CLOUD!!!

I only use them once each for each of my two printers. I then tune the hell out of them! I end up with some task specific profiles and some that are filament specific. I was not sure of this when I started this 3D printing stuff but good filament does perform differently than cheap filament. It is those end resulting profiles that I have to remember to export every time I make a change because they are stored somewhere HIDDEN from me!

So, when Simplify3D dies a hideous death and decides to reboot itself and start clean all those hidden profiles are gone...poof. So yes, I am a bit worked up! Maybe I am missing something and someone from Simplify3D will tell me that the profiles really are not hidden?

Wisar :D

falstaffpac

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:04 pm

I may not be understanding your problem. But when you export a profile, you select to which folder on your system you want the profile exported. User selectable. Try exporting your profiles to your desktop?

Wisar

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:41 am

I don't really have a problem operationally once I recovered from losing all the configuration work that I had put into customizing a couple of profiles that I had not exported. I now try to export a profile any time that I make a change or create a new variant. I just don't feel like this should be necessary. Why did they feel the need to hide the profiles forcing us to remember to export them? To me they are like a spreadsheet that I am working on. When I close Excel I am asked if I want to save that spreadsheet. I don't expect it to be saved somewhere hidden from me until I export it!

Am I the only person out there that maintains a set of customized profiles? Including ones that might be customized for a specific task or job? For example, I have one for a particularly expensive filament that behaves differently than the standard, I have one for a set of models where the bridging requirement is different than normal.

They made my job considerably harder and I am grumpy about it!

Wisar

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”