I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone involved with the continued work and progress regarding the CubePro printers. I've had my license for Simplify3D for over a year and it's been the single greatest 3D printing purchase I've made yet. We run it on a DaVinci 1.0, Printrbot Simple Metal, Makerbot 5th Gen, FlashForge Creator Pro, MendelMax 1.5, Solidoodle Press, Rostock mini G2, and now our CubePro!
The slicer is the biggest downfall to their system. We've had the CubePro Duo for over a year now and it has been the single biggest disappointment in our lineup. The hardware is fine and robust, but the firmware and slicer mostly limit this otherwise exceptional system. I've been following the forum here on Simplify3D waiting to see if anyone was going to make any progress that was relatively simple to deal with regularly for production. Since version 3.0 came out and this newer thread was started, I thought I'd give it a try again.
Wow guys, I've got the profiles posted at the beginning of this thread dialed in very well for my printer and I'm getting the best results I've ever got off of our CubePro! Since I was having such frequent jamming issues prior to trying to get Simplify3D working with this printer, I've only got one of my extruder setups in there right now, so at the moment it's not a Duo. I've dialed in a PLA profile and an ABS profile that work wonderfully. The only downside is having to further convert to a *.cubepro file with the external application, and the conversion time is insane! Maybe at some point Simplify3D could have cuber profiles that can convert to the extension the way it does the *.makerbot files, etc.....? *crosses fingers* Right now there are some large prints that I've converted that have taken about 30 minutes to create the *.cubepro file from the *.bfb file on an 16GB, i7 system.
Those with earlier firmware versions seem to be able to also print with other filaments besides the proprietary 3DSystems cartridges. I'm not so lucky with version 1.2b firmware, since the counter continues to dedicate the correct amount of filament from the cartridge chip no matter what I enter into the script. Maybe there will be another workaround found so I can also use other filaments than the massively overpriced OEM filament.... Anyway, even though I've still got to buy the grossly expensive 3DS filament, I'm actually very happy to have our CubePro printing again giving the best prints yet, and doing it with manageable support structures that can be cleanly removed! It's been about 2 weeks now and it's been a work horse every day non-stop working with both PLA and ABS. These forum threads have made me completely rethink my CubePro. I was about to completely disassemble it and go RAMPS or RAMBO with it like I read some others had. Thanks again to everyone on the forum, for your efforts and progress. This forum has likely been the one saving grace for many CubePro owners out there, and I imagine will continue to be.