Helmi

Documentation for Script variables

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:05 am

Hi,

where can i find documentation for variables to be used in Start/End-Scripts? I see changes to them in the changelog but couldn't find any documentation.

Thanks

JoeJ

Re: Documentation for Script variables

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:36 am

This is a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959

cj11363

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:01 pm

JoeJ wrote:This is a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959
I can't see where that link documents script variables, but perhaps I'm missing something. All I found at that page was a high level overview of scripting. Am I missing something ( otherwise, I'd have to say NO, THE QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED)

thanks,

--Charlie

JoeJ

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:42 am

The link I posted above already documents all of the variables available in each section. For example, you can use [extruder0_temperature] in the starting script or [old_tool] in the tool change script.

Zatsit

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:50 pm

The link I posted above already documents all of the variables available in each section.
Well, this is not really true !

I'm searching the exact meaning of "toolchange_prime_distance", which doesnt appear in the "Tip of the day 8".

Since "toolchange_retract_distance" is it the same as in the "Advanced" tab of the "FFF settings" window, we could induce that "toolchange_prime_distance" should be here also. But we have "Tool change extra restart distance" instead. Is it the same ? If yes, why a different name ? If no, what is exactly "toolchange_prime_distance" ? I mean : EXACTLY. Guessing by trial and error or googling is time consuming and frustrating, and this time is much more problematic for me than the $150 I paid to have a good, well documented software.

While the Tip 8 is full of very useful information, we need a seriously documented list of placeholders, with the all the complete relevant information for each one.

Here is a list, but thats just a list :
https://ultimaker.com/en/community/1766 ... ng-scripts

I don't understand why such determinant information is partially hidden. Simplify3D could be so much better if you gave to the users the key to unveil some creativity !

Skimmy

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:25 pm

I am looking for a Documentation for Script variables, too.

If there are variables to use, why isn't there a list of them?

rvjr

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm looking for such a documentation too. Is this post really everything available on the scripting variables topic??

dkightley

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:07 pm

There is not a standalone specific individual unique place where script variables are neatly listed. The link referenced near the top of the thread is the only place where ALL of the script variables that are available are mentioned in one place. There are not many....but they are all mentioned where they can be used under the script names in the thread that is linked.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

b-morgan

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Almost three years and a definitive list still hasn't been published. Shame on the Simplify3D development staff.

The source code for S3D isn't public. I guess one could search the binary for strings that might work but it would whole lot easier if someone on the development staff were to do a search of the source code.

I'd be happy to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement, do the initial search, and create a document that could be maintained by someone (TBD) . I'm a retired Software Engineer with some technical writing experience.

ducksauce88

Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:37 pm

I really wish they would publish these variables. I'm looking to use them as well.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”