mitchfx

Full Grid vs Rectilinear Infill?

What are the main differences between the classic Rectilinear infill and the new Grid option? Are there cases where you would want to use one vs the other?
jimc

Re: Full Grid vs Rectilinear Infill?

Grid prints on every layer. Rectilinear does not. Rectilinear is a mesh where grid is solid.
mitchfx

How would this differ from using rectilinear with the "print every infill angle for each layer" checkbox ?
jimc

Its the same thing.
mitchfx

Wonder why there are two different options then. Seems redundant unless there are other things that set them apart.
handsonstance

If I'm printing at 100% infill, does the 'print every infill angle for each layer' box become redundant under rectilinear?
CompoundCarl

Well I'm not sure if redundant is the right work. More like not needed. You're just wasting time by doing that and you get the same amount of plastic. I would recommend using 100% infill with the "print every infill angle on each layer" option disabled. That will be quicker.
mitchfx

CompoundCarl wrote: I would recommend using 100% infill with the "print every infill angle on each layer" option disabled. .
100% infill? Wow!
wirlybird

One thing I think I noticed was printing grid at say 30% and then print rectilinear at 30%and the grid has wider spacing. I have not gone back to test.
dkightley

One thing I think I noticed was printing grid at say 30% and then print rectilinear at 30%and the grid has wider spacing. I have not gone back to test.
I wouldn't expect different fill styles to have exactly the same pitch when set to the same percentage fill. What is there to test?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”