PeteD

Seeing gaps on thin walls

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:57 pm

I am printing cookie cutters for a customer, and I am seeing gaps on the thin walls (see attached picture). I've set the gap fill overlap on the advanced tab to the maximum of 50%, and I still can't get S3D to fill the gap. The wall is 1.27mm (0.05") thick and my nozzle's diameter is 0.5mm. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

dkightley

Re: Seeing gaps on thin walls

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Your image is not showing.....so I'm not able to determine if its the same issue as reported in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3103
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

PeteD

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Sorry about the image failing. Below is the link to the picture. It looks like that topic you linked may be the cause, just to a much larger extent for mine. I'll try a single perimeter and see how that works out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Tvqg ... sp=sharing

PeteD

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:22 pm

OK, Got the image working. I read the thread linked, and I think my problem is similar, but not quite the same. the wall I'm trying to print is simply too narrow for three perimeters to be printed. Again, the wall thickness is 1.27mm and I have a 0.5mm nozzle. I've tried fixing this with one perimeter (second picture) and three perimeters, but the problem still persists. If infill were to be inside this wall, the overlap would be >50%, so the thin wall infill feature won't trigger. My customer is adamant that I use this wall thickness, so I can't change it.

Any other suggestions on how I can get around this?

Original problem (3 perimeters):

The problem still persists (1 perimeter):

kiwisam

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:19 am

A possible solution is to reduce the extrusion to less than 1/3 of your desired thickness. In your case a manual extrusion width of .42 should do the trick.
I have done this for 1mm walls with a .35 nozzle where my normal extrusion width is set to .40 and I have changed the extrusion width to .33. This may have an undesirable effect on other parts of your model though.

Sam

PeteD

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks Sam! I'll try that. This won't be the first time I've cut and pasted gcode to get the right effect in the right areas, although it will be the first time I've had to do it with S3D.

JoeJ

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:56 am

I would just use the thin wall features here. If you have a 1.27mm thick wall with an 0.5mm extrusion, then just enable the gap fill method for thin walls and it will work. I do this all the time with my prints which have similar wall thicknesses to what you described. You may need to adjust the infill outline overlap as well, but you shouldn't need more than 25% there which is pretty normal.

If you can't get it working, just post the factory file

PeteD

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for replying. I have already tried adjusting the thin wall infill gap overlap (see the OP). It won't trigger no matter how high I go. The second picture I posted has the infill gap overlap set to the maximum of 50%.

Sam's suggestion seems to be working. I'll post a picture when the print is done.

JoeJ

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:42 am

As I mentioned, you would need to adjust the outline overlap as well. I made a wall that was 1.27mm thick with 0.5mm extrusions and it worked fine.

Personally, if this was me, I would probably just increase the extrusion width to 0.63mm so that it only takes exactly 2 perimeters to create a solid wall. You could also make the extrusion width smaller if you want as Sam suggested

But glad you found a method that is working for you ;)

jimc

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:43 pm

JoeJ wrote: Personally, if this was me, I would probably just increase the extrusion width to 0.63mm so that it only takes exactly 2 perimeters to create a solid wall. ;)
i agree with joes suggestion here. i actually posted this in this awhile back but my post seems to be missing. hmm not sure what happened there. more than one way to skin a cat though. there are multiple good suggestions here. using a high amount of overlap does lead to overextrusion so i prefer the first method.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”