Kenzu

Layer Height

Hey

Just bought yout software.
I have 3 problems with it.

1. Why can't I set layer height of ex. 0,3125mm ? Only 0,31. Don't like this rounding "error" as I have a 8mm leadscrew, and per http://calculator.josefprusa.cz/#layerheight 0.31mm is no go, but 0.3125 will get "clean" steps. The same with 0.125mm for my fine setting. Please fix that, thanks.

2. Your support told me I could run your software on my Raspberry Pi, but as per this post, it don't look like it. http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.p ... erry#p1359

3. When I preview a file in gcode viewer and play with the sliders. If it's not on layer but line setting and i switch to layer, the layer view does not start at layer start. Only way to fix it is to close creator and choose layer setting before play with sliders.

Other than that, it's nice... :-)

Thanks
Kenzu

Re: Layer Height

there is a little quiet here :?
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Can't help you with #1 or #3, but as for #2, I can't see how Creator would run on the Raspberry Pi because of the memory and graphics requirements. Per the System Requirements spelled out on the "Creator Software" page http://www.simplify3d.com/creator/ :

System Requirements: Intel Pentium 4 or higher processor, 2GB or more of RAM. Windows XP or greater, Mac OS X 10.6 or greater, Ubuntu Linux 12.10 or greater. OpenGL 1.2 capable system.

I don't know Raspberry Pi very well. I have one, and I have booted it up and done some web browsing with it with a monitor @ 1920 x 1080, and that's pretty impressive. I don't know if it supports OpenGL. But RAM on the latest units is specified at 512 MB. The entire OS runs on a 2GB SDCard. Even if you could install Creator, I can't imagine doing virtual memory swapping to disk with an SD Card. You WILL need at least 2GB, and probably more, of fast RAM. I run Creator on a dual core notebook with 6 GB of RAM and booting Mint 13 / Cinnamon on a solid-state drive. I would regard this as a "good" machine on which to run Creator. (Complicated parts still take some time to render...) An "acceptable" machine would probably need 4 GB of RAM, a decent SATA hard drive, and a decent graphics card (i.e., one that supports OpenGL and probably on a bus faster than plain old PCI).

Sorry, I just don't expect to run 3D CAD-ish graphics applications requiring a couple gigs of RAM (or more) plus sustained 115.2 kbps comms over USB on what's basically a $30 - $40 microcontroller board. This isn't "web browsing" you're trying to do here.

Just my $0.02....

Dale
Kenzu

I run CuraEngine and KISSlicer on RPi. I works fine for most normal jobs. (new slicers are much fast then skienforge or Slic3r) The RPi supports OpenGL ES.
And why would support tell me that it can run on RPi then?
Kenzu

I had expected a little more support for $ 125 :-(
The layer height is really bugging me.
jimc

We are all end users just like you so no one here probably has the answers for you. You should probably email suport directly
Earsmith

I though a clean step was how tall your object is divided by the layers. Fractions are not a good thing. I just print at .1 and it works just fine.
Kenzu

Earsmith >> that's the other problem. But i the end it all depends on your leadscrew resolution. If does not devide in clean steps you gat z-banding :-(

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”