Chuckphd

Top Layer Angle

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:06 pm

New to Simplify3D

is there a way to change the 'angle' of the top layer from the default 45 ?

KeyboardWarrior

Re: Top Layer Angle

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Chuckphd wrote:New to Simplify3D

is there a way to change the 'angle' of the top layer from the default 45 ?
The Top and Bottom Solid layers work on the global plane, I would recommend rotating your model 45 degrees if you want to change it. You can also go to concentric infill if you find you like that better.

CT4

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:02 pm

I to am frustrated by this removal of a very useful feature that was in V2 of the software. It is not always possible to rotate the part to 45 degrees.
There is a workaround. Create a second process for the top of the model say last 3-4 layers set this to have no bottom or top fill, use 100% infill and set the angle to 0 (or what ever angle you want). I have attached a FF for you to have a look at if you are not sure of what I mean.

PLEASE LET THE DEVELOPERS KNOW YOU ARE NOT HAPPY THEY MAY PUT THE FEATURE BACK IN AN UPGRADE.
Attachments
Top fill fix.factory
(10.78 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Chuckphd

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:42 am

Seems like top and/or bottom layers should have the ability to change the print angle..

Rotating the part to match the layer is not a solution, this works the Servos at 45 deg angles and gives step motions that can distort the print

Straight lines are shorter and less print time...

IF the developers are listening , as an Engineering firm we make Front Panels for test equipment, and allowing a better finish is a must..

As much as I dislike MB Makerware, this allows me to modify the top layer..

Simplify3d has may nice features, consider this also as I'm sure I'm not the only one that may need this..

CCVirginia

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:56 am

+1

Also, consider settings for "suspended bottoms" as are found over a support or as a bridge. Settings could include angle, pattern, speed and extrusion.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”