bray.christopher

Stratification

Any idea what is causing this "stratification"? The spacing seems somewhat regular.

It was printed vertical and it was the only thing being printed.

Ultimaker2.
JoeJ

Re: Stratification

Maybe it's filament inconsistency. If the filament diameter isn't very tightly controlled, the variations can cause extra extrusion.

I've also had a printer where the vibrations caused similar layers like in your picture.
KC_703

The only thing I can think of is possibly the solid diaphragm infill setting under the "Infill" tab.
bray.christopher

KC_703 wrote:The only thing I can think of is possibly the solid diaphragm infill setting under the "Infill" tab.
I wish! That would make sense. Unfortunately that was not turned on. Thanks anyway.
dkightley

JoeJ wrote:I've also had a printer where the vibrations caused similar layers like in your picture.
I've had similar where a tall thin part was unstable, so I added pinpoint joined "rocket fins" to steady it:
Capture.JPG
The fins were twice filament thickness thick and the scarring from the joiners was minimal.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
66tbird

My option is also filament inconsistency. Bigger the piece the narrower the distance between the lines is what convinced me. One day out of total frustration I loaded the cheapest filament I had that I bought on a whim because it was $10/lb. (HobbyKing brand) and ran the job. The vertical wall was flawless.

A roller dial indicator with pcm output for 'on the fly' adjustment has crossed my mind.
turbocharged110

Have you tried the same part with different layer heights? Could be a rounding error where your microsteps don't match the desired Z-height, so every X layers will be lower than the others with the same material extruded.
Printer: Rostock Max w/ E3D V5 hotend and lots of upgrades/modifications

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”