Tiger91

General examples for the FFF settings

I'm pretty new to S3D, and I don't have a lot of experience with many of the options in the fff windows. I know that if used correctly, manipulation of the values allows for extremely efficient prints. The thing is I don't know what the most effective settings for different types of prints are. For instance, how do I increase the speed at which the model prints, and when should I do that? How would that affect the quality?
Ultimately, I would like to know if there are examples of how to best use the fff settings? The tutorials barely touch upon them.
CT4

Re: General examples for the FFF settings

You change your speed under the "Other" tab, default printing speeds. General rule of thumb slower 40-50 mm per second gives best quality. 55-70 mm per second if your printer is sound will give you a good print in a reasonable time, past that generally your print quality will suffer. Large prints with few tight bends can be printed faster, while a small print with small ( less than 4mm holes) needs to be printed slower.
Every one's printer is different so the setting you use will may be different to say another printer of the same make. I am one of the beta testers for a Clone R1, a very accurate hand build Swiss printer. There are 25 printers out there and all of the operators are finding that their printers require different settings to print the way that they want.

The best way is to find a test print on Thingiverse that looks like something you will be printing (not too big that way it is quicker) and print at different speeds. See which one works for you and use that as your base line.

At the moment I have about 3500 hours printing experience, I print multiple things on a daily basis and nearly every one has a slightly different setting. Even so I still get caught out and have to rethink a way of doing something,

One last thing speed is not the only thing that affects the quality of your prints, extrusion width and layer height also play a big part as well as the temperature you extrude at.

This is a very cursory overview as it could take pages to answer this question. Print something change one setting at a time print again if after several tries you are not getting what you want, post a picture here with the Factory File and that will make it easier for help to be offered to you.
KC_703

Re: General examples for the FFF settings

There's always a bit of trial and error to find the optimum settings for each printer. S3D provides a good start point with their pre-configured profiles for each printer. Compare with any OEM documentation for optimum settings. Maybe asking the forum with your specific printer model will get better suggestions.

The pinned post "Tip of the Day Compilation: FFF Settings Window" at the index of this forum section.

Alternatively, if you hover over many of the values, there is a tooltip that pops up describing the setting. Of course, being new it may difficult to understand...

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”