scott216

Zits on print

Any suggestions for getting rid of these little zits on the cylinder of my print? Is "zits" the right term for these things? I'm using PLA on my Replicator 2. Temp is 220F.
Attachments
Zits on print
Zits on print
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Makerbot Replicator 2
Upgraded Aluminum Arms, Alucarriage, Alu-X-Ends and 3-in-1 Extruder
Mac OSX v10.9.5
JoeJ

Re: Zits on print

You probably just need to adjust your retraction settings. Try using a slightly negative value for the extra restart distance (for example -0.1mm). You could also try enabling a bit of coasting (perhaps 0.2mm).

Then watch closely during the print. If those zits form at the beginning of a loop, the make the extra restart distance more negative. If they don't appear until the end of the loop when the extruder gets back to it's original start point, then add more coasting.
scott216

Thanks for the tips. Tried to print some test cylinders to see which settings would get rid of the zits, but none of my test cylinders had the zits. I guess I'll have to wait until I see this problem again and then I can play with the settings.
Makerbot Replicator 2
Mac OSX v10.9.5
jeeplvr

I had those also. I had to increase my retraction distance and lower the extrusion multiplier slightly. I still get them occasionally so i think it may be differences in material causing it.
JoeJ

The filament makes a BIG difference for this as well. So if you're seeing different results with different filament, then the one that looks bad has probably absorbed too much moisture or is just poor quality filament. I've seen the exact same thing before where one roll would just print horribly compared to another.
scott216

JoeJ wrote:The filament makes a BIG difference for this as well. So if you're seeing different results with different filament, then the one that looks bad has probably absorbed too much moisture or is just poor quality filament. I've seen the exact same thing before where one roll would just print horribly compared to another.
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Makerbot Replicator 2
Mac OSX v10.9.5

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”