alpalwal

Perimeter getting "puffier" on 100% solid prints

I have a file that prints perfectly when the infill is set to 0%. When I print with 100% fill and I don't change anything else, the print gets a bit more "puffy".

One wall that is normally 7.25mm when printed hollow turns into 7.59mm. Another one is 8.1mm and moves to 8.4mm when solid.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Any ideas on which settings to check?

Makergear M2
ABS
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: Perimeter getting "puffier" on 100% solid prints

Sounds like over-extruding. If your Extrusion Multiplier is 1.00 (100%), maybe back it down a couple percent at a time. Do this with some calibration objects. The X/Y motion is generally right on, but if you are over-extruding, the lines of filament will be wider than expected, and packing them together (with 100% infill) will make the part "bulge" a bit.

It takes some tweaking...

Don't go too low with this number, or adjacent threads won't bond, and a part with, say, five perimeters, will have five paper-y layers rather than one five-layer thick wall. It's like building up a board using layers of paper and omitting the glue!

Dale
alpalwal

Great, I'll give that a try.

Do you have any calibration files that you recommend?
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Just go to Thingiverse and search "Calibration". Here's a collection in one download that should do nicely: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5573

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”