avluis

Re: Airwolf axiom

spineytoad wrote:So you guys have had the ceramic plate pull off with the part? I just had that happen twice, to two different ceramic plates, they are supposed to be sending two replacements and new wolfbite to replace the one that came with it, they feel it was to strong. What is odd is that I am still printing to a non chipped part of the plate and it hasn't done it again, the two times it did was with a large 4in sized washer type shape that was 1-2 mm thick. I bought some glass they use in fireplaces to try, I can't have it chipping all the time, that would get expensive if I have to start paying for using them less than 1 month. Let us know if you find a solution, I'll let you know how the new wolfbite works and how the new fireplace glass works.
Actually, yes - the two pieces of glass that came with mine (the one that comes with the printer and the starter bundle) both chipped away with a part on the third print for one glass, and on the second for the other.
One of the pieces of glass is still usable so I can still print with that and it has yet to chip off again, but they sent me another piece to work with.
I didn't get any WolfBite replacement like you did and they only sent me one piece of glass, but I did go to a local glass shop for some clear glass (not sure what type of glass it is) but it is printing fine with no issue.
The spare glass I got from Airwolf3D is being used to print PC and has yet to chip (crossing fingers here).
And yes, I agree about the costs of the ceramic glass, better to try out alternatives than to pony up $75+s/h for one piece.
spineytoad

See if you can figure out what type of glass it was, I got some of that stuff used for the glass in a fireplace, which was $15 more than buying the ceramic from Airwolf3d. I am using it right now with some different liquid, 3d-eez, it seems to work the same as wolfbite but works with nylon also which wolfbite doesn't do.
The chipping looks like it happens when you have a thin flat area attached to a thicker plastic area. My chipping on the first one was around the area that was 1-2mm thick and 20mm wide with a center hollow cylinder that was about 4mm thick and 4 inch diameter, the chips made 2 crescent shapes about 4.5 inches in diameter on both the parts I was printing. It's like the flat area cooled faster than the center cylinder.
Bstaz

Has anyone come up with a better / different glass? I am averaging one piece of glass every two months where some various size fragment lifts off the plate attached to the printed object and if you end up needing to print in the same spot you tend to pull more off until the plate is no long usable. Besides that the printer is great, just kind of costly to drop $90 every other month on a build plate.

I did end up tightening my belts, they had developed enough slop that it was impacting the print quality and I have found keeping it current with the BIOS and getting the newer CURA settings for printing helpful.

But that glass? Anyone?
Nick

I actually had same problem with glass on AXIOM. Used a little Wolfbite, print in ABS, and when it cool down - few pieces of glass stick to my print.
I believe it's not Wolfbite problems as I use it always on my Ultimaker2 and never had any crack of glass. Just probably they have a batch of defective ceramic glass plates.

I experienced few more problems with AXIOM (it freezed mid-print/PLA jammed) before I finally decided to return it back to them.

Yes, AXIOM looks amazing, and I believe it can do a good job, if you mostly print big parts in ABS (fully enclosed chamber is smt what every printer should have I think).
But when I printed usual size prints in PLA (smt around 10cm) - quality is way too far, than I get on Ultimaker.
Maybe it's smt connected with the nozzle design, think nozzle tip should be little more far from heater block, it quite too hot around it.
tkatsouras

The Ultimaker2 plate goes up to 100C the Axiom goes higher, I have the previous model the -XDR which has the same temperature specs as the Axiom, I used to print before with the plate at 100C and the glass plate used to last for months, now I like to print at 115C and the glass does not last more than one month.
Another interesting experience, brand new glass the ABS part I was building it was solid 9"X7" .5"H after the print was done the glass just shuttered the plastic won because it was thicker. In these cases I like the use PEI as a plate.
S3RIOUS74

They came out with a new plate (http://airwolf3d.com/shop/frglass-239) that is only $25. i just got two, but i have not tried them yet. All I can say is that they have rounded edges, unlike the old ceramic black ones. I am on my second ceramic plate, my first one lasted ~350 hours mostly printing ABS.
Glitch_

This printer is my least favorite, while it has a impressive size, amazing precision and great speed, it falls short where it counts for me. I was told by tech support to not directly connect to computer, so i have to use the sd card which is a small hastle. The machine is down far more than it is working tech support truly seems to do their best, but the machine seems to be made overly complicated, and works off several boards, making troubleshooting tricky at times The mahine has never trully worked right. And getting the code just right to print has been a real treat. So despite the size, speed, quality, and decated support I do not recommend this machine to beginners, I have spent more time fixing it then it has spent printing. On a side note if any one know how to fix the machine from ramming into the back left corner let me know. Please!
S3RIOUS74

Glitch, to keep it from crashing I added a line to the startup gcode. The line in question is in bold. I have posted it below and I have attached my .fff file. Hope this helps!

M42 P6 S255 ; turn lights on
G21 ; metric values
G90 ; absolute positioning
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
M107 ; start with the fan off
G92 E0 ; set extruder position to 0
G1 E-20 F125
G28 F200 ; home all
G1 Z0 F1200
G1 X20 Y228 F7000
G1 Z-2 F1200 ; lower to brush
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 X40 Y228 F2000
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 E-30 F125
G1 X40 Y228 F2000 ;
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 X40 Y228 F2000
G1 X138 Y228 F2000
G1 E-35 F125
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 X40 Y228 F2000
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 Z-3 F1200
G1 X40 Y228 F2000 ;
G1 X138 Y226 F2000
G1 E-40 F125
G1 X40 Y228 F2000
G1 X138 Y228 F2000
G1 Z0 F1200
G28 X0 Y0
M204 S300 ; set accel for probing
G29
M204 S3500 ; set accel back to normal
G1 Z5 ; raise nozzle up 10mm
G1 E7 F100 ; extrude filament back into nozzle and 7mm more
G92 E0 ; zero extruder
M400 ; clear buffer
G0 F9000 X30 ; avoid crash
G4 S1 ; pause
Attachments
Axiom Airwolf.fff
(15.02 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
AndyT

As anyone got a fff for dual extrusion, I have downloaded the single one from Airwolf Dropbox but see nothing else, except every possible profile for Cura!!
FCowles

Glitch_ wrote:This printer is my least favorite, while it has a impressive size, amazing precision and great speed, it falls short where it counts for me. I was told by tech support to not directly connect to computer, so i have to use the sd card which is a small hastle. The machine is down far more than it is working tech support truly seems to do their best, but the machine seems to be made overly complicated, and works off several boards, making troubleshooting tricky at times The mahine has never trully worked right. And getting the code just right to print has been a real treat. So despite the size, speed, quality, and decated support I do not recommend this machine to beginners, I have spent more time fixing it then it has spent printing. On a side note if any one know how to fix the machine from ramming into the back left corner let me know. Please!
I purchased an AXIOM from Airwolf back in December of 2015. Waited 5 weeks for it. Actually picked it up at their facility in Costa Mesa, went through their 2 hour class which was pretty informative. The demo part that we made during training actually pulled a piece of material off of their "improved" ceramic build plate! Took the printer home that day, five days later it quit about 3/4 through a job that we need to deliver the next day. We were told that the turn around time for repair was 2 weeks! I returned it and purchased an Ultimaker2 Extended and never looked back. I now own two Ultimaker2 Extended machines. The AXIOM is a very sexy looking machine, but leaves much to be desired from a design and reliability stand point in my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”